What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the stairs.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I really like your treatment Paul. In fact, don't tell cradleofdoll I like it better. Nah, they're both good!I can see why the artist made her cool, but I also like the warm version.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Paul - I can't quite put my finger on it, but something something just doesn't click for me with your warm background version. Maybe the new background is too bright and my eye keeps getting pulled away from the subject. Maybe it's the old artists' principle that warm colors advance while cool colors recede (Google {cool colors recede}), but it's reversed in your version of this image.

Although I think that the green cross-processed look has been wildly overused by every detective show that has been produced in the past few years, I think this is a case where it wouldn't look like a cliche. What ya think of this? I warmed the subject up slightly and enhanced the greens and blues already present in the almost completely desaturated background of the original. If nothing else, these colors pick up the green in her dress.

goth_girl_by_cradleofdoll-d5ugivo-BW_orig-tjm01-acr-ps03a_sRGB_698px_hi-01.jpg

For comparison, here's the original.

goth_girl_by_cradleofdoll-d5ugivo-BW_orig-xnv_698px_hi.jpg

T

iDad

Guru
I think Paul has you beat with gothic appearance, do to the Gothic appearance of the girl. Goth is not a colorful image when one typically thinks Gothic, least I don't

On the stairs....Wars............ That's it a new thread idea! :mrgreen:

Tom Mann

Guru
You're absolutely right, iDad. I wasn't thinking Goth at all when I worked up my version. I was thinking along the lines of a fashion shoot concept of an over-the-top hooker coming up out of an abandoned subway entrance :-0 .

It wouldn't be at all difficult to restore and even increase her Goth index. If I wanted to do that, I probably would use the porcelain effect we've discussed here around 6 months ago. I would apply it only to her, but leave the background with my cool colors, or maybe even put just a little splash of warm sunlight in the upper RHC, nearest the outside world.

T

iDad

Guru
I have to admit that first-line had me in stitches:rofl:
That porcelain effect gets more attention than I think it deserves I really don't like it. It has too much of a plastic feel to. like when the girls wear to much makeup or the (what's the word, referring to city guys and make up)..... Damn right on the tip of my tongue and I can't type it out:banghead:
Individual preferences I suppose:cheesygrin:

Tom Mann

Guru
Personally, I think the Goth look is even more prominent when someone made up this way is seen / photographed in a normally colored environment, but that's just my opinion. I guess there's a difference between an all-Goth photo and a photo with just a Gothy subject.

I know u don't like the porcelain effect, but what the heck -- for comparison, here's what I was musing over when I wrote my previous post.

T

goth_girl_by_cradleofdoll-d5ugivo-BW_orig-tjm01-acr-ps03a_sRGB_698px_hi-03_goth_skin_warm_URHC.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Heh, wait till Paul wakes up and sees what I did to his photo. :rofl:

FWIW, I just figured out what Paul's warm background version reminds me of: It looks like a scene from one of the old Mummy movies where the actors are crawling around the orange-ish tunnels inside of a pyramid. :mrgreen:

T

iDad

Guru
Careful Tom, you're showing your age:rofl: what's wrong with orange I love orange...I love Orange in the morning:mrgreen:
whatswrongwithorange.png :mrgreen:

Tom Mann

Guru
Cool!

VERY COOL (and I don't mean the color - LOL).

Nice job, iDada.

In yours, my eyes aren't pulled immediately to the background, but it nicely complements and contrasts with the subject.

T

iDad

Guru
very rough selection but it works..... low res is a gift sometimes!

N

najmin

can you please some one change model cloth color It will be wow!!!