What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self portrait - Before and After

Black(or dark) in the graphics world can be your friend. nice touch

Black(or dark) in the graphics world can be your friend. nice touch

I appreciate that, most of my work usually comes out on the darker side. When done right, it can look good. Like you said, it can be your friend or even worst enemy haha

Another self portrait before and after
20120505_12247copy_zps47d7b597.jpg

20120505_12247_zps9acf1182.jpg

Attachments

• 20120505_12247_zps9acf1182.jpg
    20120505_12247_zps9acf1182.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 5
I just realized how many self portraits I have haha. I guess being a photographer and trying out new techniques and what not, it happens haha

20111117_11305_copy_zpsccb354db.jpg

20111117_11305_zpsfee48b3f.jpg

Kind of in love with yourself a little bit ah? :rofl:

Kind of in love with yourself a little bit ah? :rofl:

HAHA, I kept looking for before and afters and going through 70k photos, I only found ones of me! lol.

I found a couple others though, posting now ;) haha

Just a couple of suggestions w.r.t. your 1st photo (ie, you and the dog):

0. Background removal or reduction is almost always a good thing when trying to make a casual photo look like a conventional portrait.

1. You have increased the contrast so much globally that you have introduced a very distracting bright patch on your forehead. Use masking or other techniques to control that. Blown highlights look very unprofessional.

2. The same thing has happened at the opposite end of the brightness spectrum. You have increased the contrast so much everywhere in the image that you are now getting an unintentional merge between the black fur on dog and his surroundings. A bit of shadow detail in this area would help define the dog and increase interest in the image. Again, use masks or burn and dodging techniques to selectively make changes.

HTH,

Tom

Hey scarmack, just found this thread.

scarmack said:
I appreciate that, most of my work usually comes out on the darker side. When done right, it can look good. Like you said, it can be your friend or even worst enemy haha
Exactly! I have stated this many times. It's very hard to get right and most everyone fails.

You have done very well with the exception of post 4, it's seems a bit dark to me although I do like the letter boxing!

Whatever you do, never post or "like" anything in the Avatar Wars thread.............you have provided way too much fodder!

Exactly! I have stated this many times. It's very hard to get right and most everyone fails.

You have done very well with the exception of post 4, it's seems a bit dark to me although I do like the letter boxing!

Whatever you do, never post or "like" anything in the Avatar Wars thread.............you have provided way too much fodder!

you dink Sam!:rofl:

Just a couple of suggestions w.r.t. your 1st photo (ie, you and the dog):

0. Background removal or reduction is almost always a good thing when trying to make a casual photo look like a conventional portrait.

1. You have increased the contrast so much globally that you have introduced a very distracting bright patch on your forehead. Use masking or other techniques to control that. Blown highlights look very unprofessional.

2. The same thing has happened at the opposite end of the brightness spectrum. You have increased the contrast so much everywhere in the image that you are now getting an unintentional merge between the black fur on dog and his surroundings. A bit of shadow detail in this area would help define the dog and increase interest in the image. Again, use masks or burn and dodging techniques to selectively make changes.

HTH,

Tom

I appreciate the insight. I usually get caught up when editing and haven't mastered taking a break and a checking over my work with a fresh pair of eyes. Thats usually where a second set of eyes helps. Thanks for your help.

Couldn't agree more. I spend way too much time on one image and usually get lost in it, and most of the time end of ruining it haha.

4 was hard for me. I didn't like the way it was coming out originally, so I tried a "cinematic look", wide screen, desaturate, and grunge.
Hard to pull off.

I will be sure to stay clear haha

Very nice work. I noticed you use a lot of blue/green hues and I'd be interested to see what some other edits would look like in other hues. Your edits definitely make the photos more interesting and stylized! Keep it up :)

Back