What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Restoration

LookyHotcha

About a year ago my grandpa asked me to touch up this picture of his late sister, please let me know what you think and if there was anything I may have botched.
Thankyou! :)
Haley C.

Attachments

• MaryLeeTateOct19611.jpg
    MaryLeeTateOct19611.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 27
  • MaryLeeTateOct1961.jpg
    MaryLeeTateOct1961.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 1

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Haley, I'm not that versed in restoration. I really don't like to critique these mainly because I know they are difficult and I'm not that good at it! I find that there are very few people who can actually do these and make them look good.

This one seems as though the detail/sharpness has been lost and the color is on the yellow side. Her necktie seems to stand out/off like it was added to the photo! The flaw removal looks pretty good, but there are a few areas where you can tell where they were, mainly the one on her right shoulder. The Clone Stamp Tool works better for me than the Healing Brushes when removing these flaws. It allows for more accurate target sampling of surrounding pixels.

A great effort on a tough restoration!

LookyHotcha

Yeah, the necktie is definitely the part I had the most trouble with since there wasn't another stripe like that one anywhere else on it. And I typically use the clone stamp as opposed to the healing brush because I always feel that the healing brush murks everything up.
Thanks for your opinion though!