What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get this effect? [minimlistic Paint splodge]

sinandrei

Hi guys. I am planning on making a poster in InDesign for a camp, I agreed wit the staff that it should look something like the following book cover?

9780753827536.jpg

simple, right? What kind of tools will I be needing? The brushes for the spoldges I found were way to extravagent, and I still dont know how to get that old school effect for the animals -I will be using other animals

Any help would be much appreciated
Andrei

ibclare

Queen Bee
Maybe you could post the example image a bit larger, explain what you mean by too extravagant, and what do you mean by old school animals? You mean like old tiffs in clip art? That part is actually easy. I'm sorry if I seem thick, but it would help to know better what you are describing.

sinandrei

Thank you for the links; especially the fonts are spot on I believe

Now is the time that I actually have to work on this poster prject of mine:

Replying to ibclare, regarding the animals - old tiffs? perhaps, could you link a tutorial to what you mean by easy - so should i looks for illustrations of animals on the web, still the question remains how to I chage the colors similar to the photo (two colors; white and one other); the cliparts Pauls linked were to cartoony I'm afraid

Thought bubbles - wouldn't it look better do use some pains brush for those? Is there hope to find brush set that works with circular ink blots, similar to the ones in the photo?

Any comments are welcome!

ibclare

Queen Bee
I think you will need to do a search of tiff clip art. I like the dafont dingbats, but I think you want something with more detail.

You can create that effect in Photoshop by using the threshold command. It's available under the adjustment menus, image or layer. I prefer to do it as a layer adj. so I can easily make changes at any time. You take the photo you want to transform, simply add the adjustment layer and play with the settings. If there is some part of the critter you want less of the effect but want to keep as is over the rest, use the layer mask that comes with the adj. layer. Paint on it in varying degrees of soft to medium brush (unless you want crisp edges) and starting with lower opacity on the brush.

threshold.jpg

To get rid of the white, go to the select menu: select>color range, from the dropdown menu choose highlights. This will highlight all the white from the threshold image. Then delete or mask it. Easiest to delete with this kind of image. Just make sure you keep an original, untouched layer of your animal or any object you use. Make duplicate layers for your actual work.

threshold.PNG

I'm not certain about all your questions. I thought one of your main concerns was creating the texture. If so, one of us can address that.

As for finding the talk bubbles, I would just research Photoshop brushes and try bubble brushes or talk bubble brushes. Or create your own with the pen tool to get the kind of funky shapes and curves you want. The pen tool is another tutorial and plenty of practice in itself. But for this kind of thing, isn't that hard to learn. As an option, you could just make them with a paintbrush stroke or three. Again, to make the bubbles look grungy, if that's what you want, it is mostly just adding the right texture!

Last edited: