What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color Correction

Parinaa

Hi, I have to say it's actually the first time I corrected colors. I did color correction before, but only in a small extent.

Feedback is always much appreciated. :) I'm not really satisfied with the result of the third one (the violet one), I think that I got a good result, but it could me much better. :((

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I like what you did to the 1st two images, but, as you pointed out, the 3rd has its problems. It's a very, very difficult, if not impossible image to correct using only global adjustments. For example, in problem images, there can be areas having the same brightness, and which we know should have the same color, but wind up with different colors in the corrupted version. Obviously, this can't be fixed with a global adjustment.

My approach to such problematic images is to re-color them in much the same way one would colorize an old black and white photo, ie, select different areas and apply appropriate color each one. Fortunately, it takes much less work if the starting image is already in color, albeit inaccurate/corrupted color.

Here's my quick shot at the 3rd image. I'm not happy with the skin tones, but I didn't have the time to really spend time refining all the colors, let alone apply my usual gradient map technique to re-colorizing the skin.

Cheers,

Tom

Attachments

• Untitled-3-tjm02_b4_after_698px_wide-02.jpg
    Untitled-3-tjm02_b4_after_698px_wide-02.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I like the 2nd and the third image very much. You have done a really good job on these two images.
The first image is also a very good job, considering what you had to start with, though I think the color is a little overdone. The BG looks now greenish and the skin tones are a bit reddish. I think you see what I mean, since you asked for feedback. I attached my corrected version for comparing.

1Chris.jpg

I couldn't leave this one and had to try it from scratch. This is my "professional" version of it.
The original shot was probably taken late in the afternoon, at least the long shadows suggest this.
This is why I was inclined to go for warm colors.

Untitled-3Chris.jpg

Very nice, Chris!

BTW, FWIW, I actually did give some thought to whether or not #3 was illuminated by low angle, late afternoon warm sunlight, or by artificial light. By noting:

1. the thickness and spread of the shadow of the model's leg;

2. the non-parallel directions of two sharp, well-defined shadow edges (see attached, marked-up image); and,

3. the unusually bright wall in the upper RH corner, facing away from the presumed direction of the sun,

I sort of convinced myself that there probably was a strong artificial source of light off to camera-right.

I'm obviously not 100% sure of this, but thinking about it moved me towards giving the image a more neutral color balance.

Cheers,

T

Untitled-3-03_shadows_not_parallel-01.jpg

Last edited:
Hi thank you both for your detailed feedback.

@chrisdesign:
picture 1: yes, yo are right, when working on it in PS, I was so focused on getting a good skin color, I totally forget about the background. When uploading it I noticed too, that it was a bit cyan-y.

picture 3: I like the colors in you version very much (though I think her right leg is a bit too red). I kind of wanted the result to be like this. May I ask you how you did this? Did you use only PS Tools and/or recolorization or is this any specific filter?

@Tom Mann: Yes you are right, when working on picture 3, recolorization came to my mind, but I so wanted to get a good result only with global adjustments. Anyway, I'll keep recol. in my mind for the future.

I only used PS tools. I hope the screenshots will help you too see how I get to my result. Of course I had do redo again, though I took a few shortcuts, but it's close enough to my first result.

Your image, before and after
Untitled-3.jpg

1. Used the curves.
1. Curves.jpg

2. Hue/Saturation for Yellow colors
2. HueSaturation for Yellow.jpg

3. Hue/Saturation for Desaturation of BG
3. HueSatuaration for BG .jpg

4. After a few tweaks it look s like this.
Untitled-3ChrisforScreenshots.jpg

Thank you soooo much for your screenshots. They helped a lot. I will do more color correction work asap and will post it here.

Thanks again, Tom Mann & chrisdesign. :)

Thank you soooo much for your screenshots. They helped a lot. I will do more color correction work asap and will post it here.

Back