What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Portrait Retouch

SolidBrowser

.This was my first attempt at the butterfly lighting technique.

Here's what I did in Photoshop:
- I used the liquid distortion tool to make my subjects shoulder more broader.
- Adjusted Levels
- Used the spot healing brush to retouch blemishes
- Dodge/Burn on forehead and nose
- Corrected ears so they are the same
- Adjusted Sharpness

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Nice work.

A couple of minor comments on photographic / lighting techniques: (1) even a touch of rim lighting would really separate his hair from the background; (2) I wouldn't have him leaning on something blue.

WRT post processing, it looks like you made his shirt go too warm. For studio portraits, I prefer a color balance that is very close to neutral. If your monitor isn't calibrated, go by the numbers to at least get a good WB in the highlights.

Tom

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - If you want to warm up the subject's skin because it's "winter pale", don't warm up everything, let at least something (eg, his shirt) stay neutral so the viewer's eyes have some neutral color reference.

PPS - I would kick in a bit more light from below (even just slightly below camera level) to fill in the eye sockets a bit more. Don't forget: The eyes are the window to the soul.

T

SolidBrowser

I was using flash +3 WB so i'll definiatly go manual next time and I will add some rim in my next shoot, and the posing I definitely need to work on!
Thanks!

SolidBrowser

I didn't have anyone else helping me, but I was going to add in a reflector for that.