What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titanic in watercolor

Titanic iPT

The original image of the Big Ship finally making her way to New York, after over 100 years, is here:
She's finally in NYC!.png

And here is the whole picture redone as a watercolor painting (first attempt at a panoramic Photoshop)! :cool2:
Painting of Titanic at NYC.png

iDad

Guru
Interesting idea,photoshop can keep your mind in all ahead full mode, :mrgreen: for years, have fun!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great idea.

In your image, I don't get the sense of the Titanics size.

Titanic iPT

Well, I can't put her too big as she's around 269m in length, which should be roughly the same as the two container ships in the picture... Imagine this as a shot taken by someone from a nearby ferry, e.g. the one that heads to Staten Island! :cheesygrin:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I feel that the Point Of View is off.

In her position in the water, and the container further away, she ought to be bigger by 50 - 60% . If that's a tugboat in front of the container on the right pulling away, its huge for its size in relation to Titanic.

Titanic iPT

Hey mates, I have re-done Titanic's NYC picture and her size should be more correct now... The original image and photoshopped one are shown below! :)

(Original)
nyc harbor 034.jpg

(Water color)

Attachments

• Painting of Titanic at NYC.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 2

Crotale

Power User
Much better perspective, but the use of the filter is too much here. It is too obvious even to the untrained eye, as it looks generated, and, it actually degrades the image without adding back to it in an artistic manner.

I suggest a different way to approach this project. Make a duplicate copy of your base layer. You will want to use the duplicate for this exercise.

1. Open the Noise>Reduce Noise filter. Make adjustments for color and detail in order to clean up complicated edges and surface textures as desired. Select OK and hit enter.

2. Open the Artistic>Dry Brush filter. Set the Brush Size to 1, Detail to 10 and Texture to 1. Select OK and hit enter.

3. The last step is to select Edit>Fade. Adjust the fade to perhaps 50-60%, as desired. Select OK and hit enter.

This quick process will give you image that painterly look without appearing to be clearly generated to most who do not use Photoshop, and, you will still have an impressive image without loss of clarity of view. See my example below.

nycharbor034CE.jpg

Titanic iPT

Wow, your's looks great, Crotale... You are right, I should have filtered the photo and watched out the quality of the "painting", so as to prevent it from looking too computer-generated! :)