What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

portrait of a man

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A very interesting effect. I like it.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I'll let you know tomorrow, LOL. JK. I agree, very interesting. I'm not sure how well the leaf pattern works. It appears you used a displacement mask? It's well done. The only problem with the maps is they need a little help to fit the surface often times. All I would do is mask and gently paint out at different opacities where the design is a bit too bright for the shadows and bend the leaf pattern a bit more here and there. But not much; it follows pretty well as is. I might make a layer above and paint some shadow in the rusty orange.

I love the texture and colors. You did a very good job!

Who's the subject? I don't recognize him but he's a very strong character. He could handle any distortion you give him!

inkpad.t

Guru
If you used a displacement map then there is a good way to do it, make a copy of the original image and de-saturate it, then do a levels adjustment for the contrast to darken the shadows and lighten the whites in the de-saturated image to make look almost a deep black and white without loosing some of the detail. Then use a Gaussian blur between 3 and 10 pxls, this make sure when you apply the displacement map it dos not look to sharp on the edges and make the image look funny looking, Apply your displacement map starting at around 10 to 20 on the settings for this type of image and this should give you a better result.

Play around with the settings to get you right results your looking for.

civicesi

The subject is Philip Glass, an american composer. Took an image of him from google. You are right that I chose him bc of his character lines that can take distortion well. Thanks for the comments.

Paul

Former Member
The face looks great, but the hand looks wishy washy and slightly out of focus compared, great job though.

inkpad.t

Guru
Not quite sure but the hand on the original image under the chin area looks brighter than the face , this might have caused the hand to look out of focus after the affects were applied which has darken the face ?.

It might be possible to make a selection of the hand on a separate layer then applied the affects to it, then do a curves/levels or bright/contrast to see if it can be blended to the rest of the image.