What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing with Saturation HDRish Effect

Hey Y'all.

I've never done this type of image editing before. Its not a refined HDR technique, I'm still learning how to do that, lol.

I'd like to add clouds to it I think. For sure something to the sky.

BEFORE

PCB2010.jpg

AFTER
PCBHDR.jpg

Paul

Former Member
As with most attempts at this, the image as lost it's natural look for me, over coloured and over sharpened in effect, works much better if you just pick out portions rather than all of the image.

Tom Mann

Guru
Because one can do almost anything using Photoshop, the possibilities are essentially endless. So, IMHO, the very first thing you have to decide is more-or-less how you want the final product to look. Don't think about what specific techniques you know or have available on your computer. Instead, think about how you eventually want it to look, and then figure out / learn how to get that look.

Do you want it to look like a Sci-Fy, other-worldly-landscape sort of thing, or is it supposed to look realistic but dramatic, or a soft-and-romantic beach scene, a true multi-exposure HDR photo of a beach, daytime, night-time, dusk, or mid-day, or something I haven't even mentioned?

That being said, the next thing you have to think about for the next time is starting with a technically competent photo. Specifically, the one you posted is at least a stop overexposed, very low resolution (ie,not enough pixels), and you used too low a JPG quality factor. If you really are interested in HDR techniques, stick the camera on a tripod and take 7, full resolution shots spaced by a stop apart and saved as either a RAW data file (best), or, if your camera doesn't provide that capability, save it at the highest JPG quality possible.

If you don't have these ingredients to start with, all you will be able to do is "fake", low quality HDR. It never comes even close to looking as good as real, multi-exposure HDR.

So, to illustrate the huge variety in looks one can obtain, here are a couple of different versions. The first is the result of spending a minute or two going crazy and dropping in a completely new sky. The second is what one would get if you ran your image through the NIK HDR plugin (using preset #8). Notice all the little rectangular artifacts in the sky? They are there because of the small size of your image and the low JPG quality factor you used when you shot the photo.

HTH,

Tom

Attachments

• PCB2010-tjm01-acr-ps01a-02_sRGB.jpg
    PCB2010-tjm01-acr-ps01a-02_sRGB.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 3
  • PCB2010-tjm01-acr-ps01a_NIK_HDR_preset08.jpg
    PCB2010-tjm01-acr-ps01a_NIK_HDR_preset08.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 27
It isnt suppose to look natural. Just exposed with more vibrant colors. I was thinking fantasy but not scifi. I'm not sure what clouds I want to add, I was thinking a more boiling/rolling look? :idea:

I don't have plugins for my PS, I googled the one you mentioned and there is no way I am spending over $100.00 for a photoshop plug in. I have a farm and all of my money goes to raising my son the livestock. :-(

What I can do is keep playing with what came with my PS. "pity me" :banghead: lol

I did find free version of Fusion and have messed with it on a dog picture just now. Its probably something you can do with PS alone but this already seems easier. :) Is the paid version much better than the free one? I can probably do $25.00 lol.

Thank you. ;-)

You see the gloss you have over the first image? The water especially, how would I control that gloss to work on specific areas in an image? Right now I am working in multiple layers but can't seem to add a sheen without changing the overall colors and hues.

Here is what happened with a quick trip through Fusion--i like it as a picture for the wall but its lacking that "gloss" I see in HDR images. The images are small, my full sizes aren't on this dinosaur of a comp. Is that why they aren't working right? I'm assuming I am just doing something wrong though. Gotta download a few at a time to work on and then store them online for fear the computer will explode. lol

before

527872_2084268283876_1030824154_n.jpg
after
AnnaHDR1.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
With respect to the look of the water as well as other manipulations, let us know which version of PS you are using so we can try to tailor our suggestions to that version.

BTW, let me explain my selection of that particular cloud photo that I used. My first reaction to your image was to find its most visually appealing aspects. The first thing that jumped out at me was that with the right cloud photo, your image could be made into what is sometimes called an "S-curve" or "winding road" type of composition. as well as already possessing nice diagonal and other compositional elements: http://facweb.cs.depaul.edu/sgrais/composition.htm .

In art classes, they point out that it is usually much easier to the see the main compositional elements by looking at a simplified version of the scene that emphasizes the large visual masses present. This is one of the things I did in the (new) attached version of your image.

Finally, since there was little movement or life in your initial image, that suggested that a cloud image with birds might work well.

Obviously, all of the above depends greatly on personal preferences, so let me suggest that if you have any pictures you have taken of clouds that you think would work nicely with this photo, why don't you post them and we can see what we can do with them.

Cheers,

Tom

Attachments

• PCB2010-tjm02-acr-ps01a_misc_efx_0016_Background_jpg-S_curve_composition-01.jpg
    PCB2010-tjm02-acr-ps01a_misc_efx_0016_Background_jpg-S_curve_composition-01.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 24
I think I broke the thread. It ate my post then opened it again LOL. Thank you for your help, its greatly appreciated. :)

I am using Adobe Photoshop CS2.

I will search out images of clouds, it will take a bit to find them though. lol I started a version with clouds but it isnt ready to post. Here's one image with clouds I am cutting.

010.JPG

Here is what happened with a quick trip through Fusion--i like it as a pet picture for the wall but its lacking that "gloss" I see in HDR images. The images are small, my full sizes aren't on this dinosaur of a comp. Is that why they aren't working right? I'm assuming I am just doing something wrong though. Gotta download a few at a time to work on and then store them online for fear the computer will explode. lol

before

View attachment 43694
after
View attachment 43695

Tom Mann

Guru
I just saw your question about "gloss". Unfortunately, I am just about to go out, so I'll try to answer that when I return.

T