What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retouch attempt

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I saw the thread about split frequency technique used for retouching. I found this photo and thought it would be a good candidate to try this technique. I wanted to keep the subject looking as natural as possible, improving it yet not making her look like some of the typical retouches I see. Quite honestly, good work they may be, but many of them really look unrealistic. Also, I did not use any plug-ins with this, all PS CC. I think it came out well, what say the critics?
Before:
beauty before.JPG
After:
beauty after.JPG

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think you did a great job. I think the complexion is a little light though. Was the color in her hair on purpose?

This is a very good retouch Larry.
The skin looks great, but the hair is a bit blueish and the lips are too saturated. Face and hair could be a bit darker.

ALB68

Thank you.
As usual, hair was( is) a problem. I brought out the detail in the shadows using Shadows/Highlight adjustment and it lightened her hair even more than now. I did make some adjustment but maybe not enough but didn't want to do too much.
This is a very good retouch Larry.
The skin looks great, but the hair is a bit blueish and the lips are too saturated. Face and hair could be a bit darker.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I think it is a very good job ALB. Nice to see your work again.

I agree with Chris, especially about the lips being too saturated. I wonder if you selected the hair and lowered the sat on it whether that might fix the blue problem. It's OK if it's intentional but I wonder if you meant to make it that way. Perhaps, a bit less sharpening or a bit of blur and changing levels/curves/sat would fix it. It looks like an artifact of pulling a curve point too high.

ALB68

How's this? Settings are the hair. Brought sat down -12 on lips.
beauty desat.JPG

ibclare

Queen Bee
Better, much. I don't have suggestions for what else to do to the hair. Maybe Tom Mann or someone else will come by with ideas for you. But overall Larry, I think you did a great job!

ALB68

I think if this was a photo to just be a remembrance etc it would work . As Chris pointed out, her skin could possibly be a bit darker, but the original wasn't necessarily demonstrating her actual complexion, so it's a guess. It was pleasing to me but that doesn't really mean anything. Thanks for the input.
Better, much. I don't have suggestions for what else to do to the hair. Maybe Tom Mann or someone else will come by with ideas for you. But overall Larry, I think you did a great job!

Parinaa

I really like what you did.

In my opinion the skin is a bit too "dry" (do you know what I mean?). If you apply a Blur Filter on it, you'd get a better result

and for the hair, go to Hue Saturation --> Blue Channel.

I show you what I mean.

Attachments

• beauty-after.jpg
    beauty-after.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

ALB68

Thank you.
Why the blue channel? It actually isn't blue and it's not yellow,,so how did you arrive at that?
I really like what you did.

In my opinion the skin is a bit too "dry" (do you know what I mean?). If you apply a Blur Filter on it, you'd get a better result

and for the hair, go to Hue Saturation --> Blue Channel.

I show you what I mean.

Parinaa

If you look at the hair, you see they are blue-ish, so you have to lower its saturation. go to hue/saturation / Blues : Saturation -70.