What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Colorization

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
This native American chief was originally photographed by Edward Curtis and copyrighted by him in 1900. It is now in public domain and is from the Library of Congress.
I try to think of colors that would be available in the native people's environment and they would use to decorate their various adornments. In addition to the normal colorization, I completely de saturated the original and overlaid the colored one and then decreased the opacity of the top layer to mute the colors and hopefully maintain the shading etc.
Original:
chief original.jpg
Result:
warrior chief 2 comp.jpg

I have a calibrated system also. This was originally a Tiff and has been highly compressed, so may be getting some shift in the colors from that process. It looks fine to me on my system.
The skin color just doesn't look right, at least on my monitor.

Trick with skin, do several varying layers of the same colour only lighten and darken each one the soft blend edges to give realism, what you have is to purple/pink coloured and flat, the rest is nice though.

Thanks Paul, what blending modes would you suggest?
Trick with skin, do several varying layers of the same colour only lighten and darken each one the soft blend edges to give realism, what you have is to purple/pink coloured and flat, the rest is nice though.

I really like your picture and I also have a question.

Did the picture make you use any painting or brushing tool to add colors to it or just monitor it fx. ?

Thanks.

I believe this particular one was mostly selection tools and colorization with Hue and Saturation adjustment layers.
Take a look at this one, totally old greyscale from 1912 to color. This one turned out nicely and again, no brush work
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...y-project-colorization-vintage-greyscale.html
nguyenthe22911;1533688244]I really like your picture and I also have a question.

Did the picture make you use any painting or brushing tool to add colors to it or just monitor it fx. ?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Nice hawkeye. That is a very famous photo depicting a Great Depression era women and her children. Your color is great. Care to share your technique.
I did this one for practice quite some time ago.

Gotcha. That is definitely good methodology. I like it, and probably be easier than doing selections. I'll give that a go on the next one I do. Thanks!
Technique, is color layers with layer masks. Most layers are set to color blending mode, some are different modes.

Hawkeye - great job on the colorization of the Dorthea Lange B&W!

Larry - I agree with Hawkeye. The skin colors on your Indian are way off. They are almost purple-copper. You've demonstrated much, much better color accuracy many times in the past. Something may have happened to you system. You might want to check it and/or recalibrate it. For example, for a while, there was a spate cases on some laptops where the ICC profile generated by the person's hardware calibrator just goes "pffft" and disappears.

Tom

Tom,
This is not a new post. It was posted 3 months ago. It got bumped up because there was a question asked about it.

Hawkeye - great job on the colorization of the Dorthea Lange B&W!

Larry - I agree with Hawkeye. The skin colors on your Indian are way off. They are almost purple-copper. You've demonstrated much, much better color accuracy many times in the past. Something may have happened to you system. You might want to check it and/or recalibrate it. For example, for a while, there was a spate cases on some laptops where the ICC profile generated by the person's hardware calibrator just goes "pffft" and disappears.

Tom

Last edited:
Here is a new one I did today using some of hawkeyes methodology, some of mine.
color fm gs.JPG

Warrior Chief again
warrior chief sm.jpg

I like this one a lot better Larry.

I am not a fan of the purple cast. I don't think of Native Americans in terms of this color - and even without that preconception, it looks weird to me. But I do certainly think the skin color is way better. The skins of his clothing might be a little more tannish as they now look a bit too yellow-green to me, but that's my only other comment and of little importance at that.

Yeah Clare, I think my eyes must have been off (as well as my color perception) the day I did this (back in April). Corrected this one with a Selective Color adjustment layer. Better but still not anything to get intoxicated over.
I like this one a lot better Larry.

I am not a fan of the purple cast. I don't think of Native Americans in terms of this color - and even without that preconception, it looks weird to me. But I do certainly think the skin color is way better. The skins of his clothing might be a little more tannish as they now look a bit too yellow-green to me, but that's my only other comment and of little importance at that.

Back