What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday project : Colorization from vintage greyscale

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Felt like doing a colorization today. Had this photo that I had downloaded from the Library of Congress's archive of this lady socialite from 1912. It was originally 1400 dpi, I brought it down to 300 to make it easier to work with. This was done in CMYK, using a curves adjustment for the skin tone and then essentially hue adjustment layers using colorize for the rest. Oh, it has a Topaz filter applied- Simplify BuzSim.

Attachments

• socialite color flat rgb.png
    socialite color flat rgb.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • socialite color original.png
    socialite color original.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

ALB68

OK. I happen to like the Topaz painterly look in this, but here is Before Topazsocialite color before topaz.jpg
Nicely coloured. don't think the topaz has do any justice to your work though, would like to see it before the topaz filter.

ALB68

Tom,
Thank you! I have traveled a long road since I first started doing these. I look back at some I did while learning and I flinch. You taught me well master.
That's just gorgeous, Larry! I'm with Inkpad: I prefer it without the Topaz effect.

Keep up the good work,

Tom

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Alb your colourizations always remind me of the tv show Cheers, and i thank you for that mate.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Very cool Larry. Did you mean her glove to be similar to flesh tone. Usually those gloves were white. Just a thought.

BTW, I like the before topaz filter better; more subtle and more realistic. But they are both nice for their different effects.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Clare - I completely agree about the gloves from that era usually being white, but FWIW, on my system, her glove (post-Larry) is considerably more pink-purple than her skin ... it's much closer in hue to her lace collar than her skin.

T

PS - Again, Larry, Congrats! You really hit one out of the park with this colorization. IMHO, you just nailed everything perfectly (pre Topaz). BTW, I seem to remember that you did purchase a color calibration device, but I can't remember if you also eventually got a new monitor. Whatever you are doing, don't change anything.

ALB68

Women, years ago wore gloves that were kid gloves. The color was intentional. My mother wore gloves like that and sometimes she would wear white ones. I remember her complaining about the ones that were white fabric..they showed dirt too easily.
Very cool Larry. Did you mean her glove to be similar to flesh tone. Usually those gloves were white. Just a thought.

BTW, I like the before topaz filter better; more subtle and more realistic. But they are both nice for their different effects.

ALB68

Monitor and color calibration both Tom. See my answer above. This lady was at a horse show when this photo was made. Google it and you will see a little info. I got this from the LOC though and not the page that comes up on the search for the image.
Hi Clare - I completely agree about the gloves from that era usually being white, but FWIW, on my system, her glove (post-Larry) is considerably more pink-purple than her skin ... it's much closer in hue to her lace collar than her skin.

T

PS - Again, Larry, Congrats! You really hit one out of the park with this colorization. IMHO, you just nailed everything perfectly (pre Topaz). BTW, I seem to remember that you did purchase a color calibration device, but I can't remember if you also eventually got a new monitor. Whatever you are doing, don't change anything.

Tom Mann

Guru
Yup, you're right, Larry. I also remember my mother wearing off white "kid" gloves. I had forgotten that.

T

ibclare

Queen Bee
her glove (post-Larry) is considerably more pink-purple than her skin ... it's much closer in hue to her lace collar than her skin.

/QUOTE]

Sheesh Tom, do you think I'm color blind? I see that it is pink and thought it might even be better if the color were more quaternary such as the collar is. I am just saying that, depending on the goal, if it is to seem realistic, then the gloves would be white or ivory. Just sayin.

Tom Mann

Guru
Sorry, Clare. I wasn't sure what you meant. Such are the limitations of the typed word without facial gestures, vocal inflections, etc.

T

MikeMc

McGuru
Learned a new word today!! I doubt if I will ever need it, BUT I do know!!

quat·er·nar·y
ˈkwätərˌnerē/
adjective
[COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]
    fourth in order or rank; belonging to the fourth order.

GEOLOGY
    of, relating to, or denoting the most recent period in the Cenozoic era, following the Tertiary period and comprising the Pleistocene and Holocene epochs (and thus including the present).

nounGEOLOGY

the Quaternary period or the system of deposits laid down during it.

ALB68

Is this relevant some how?? :question:
'
Learned a new word today!! I doubt if I will ever need it, BUT I do know!!

quat·er·nar·y
ˈkwätərˌnerē/
adjective
    fourth in order or rank; belonging to the fourth order.
    GEOLOGY
    of, relating to, or denoting the most recent period in the Cenozoic era, following the Tertiary period and comprising the Pleistocene and Holocene epochs (and thus including the present).

nounGEOLOGY

the Quaternary period or the system of deposits laid down during it.

iDad

Guru
Perplexing, I'm in a quagmire of intellectual confusion SPLAINPLEASE?