What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets play Golf with the Bear !

OMGiBrokeMyTablet

Hey guys, good evening!Today during my post-lunch nap (oh sweet holidays) i dreamed about playing golf with a bear.So i thought: Why not photoshop it?I would greatly enjoy every one of your advices and commentary, i'm a real newbie at 'toshop (less than 2 weeks experience) ;).Here is the Youtube link of the steps and images i used (it's 20 secs long & available in HD):http://youtu.be/UKlH8da_eGU

Attachments

• Bear golf.jpg
    Bear golf.jpg
    935.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

OMGiBrokeMyTablet

Thanks for your feedback :)

Yeah i just saw it, it's pointed in the wrong direction, thanks for pointing it out

Paul

Former Member
The best thing about it is you had fun doing it obviously, tech time now - overly saturated colours lose a lot of the images image for me, what i mean is it as become overly darkened by the rich thick colours, shadows like most people are too dark also, but overall a great concept and totally new one to me.

OMGiBrokeMyTablet

The best thing about it is you had fun doing it obviously, tech time now - overly saturated colours lose a lot of the images image for me, what i mean is it as become overly darkened by the rich thick colours, shadows like most people are too dark also, but overall a great concept and totally new one to me.

Thanks for your very useful reply Paul,

I had tons of fun doing it, but i'm always looking forward to increase my newbie photoshop skills.

Can you explain this "overly saturated" thing a bit more please? It's very interesting, color adjustements are the hardest aspect of image manipulation for me, i would greatly appreciate any tips & indications :thumbsup:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Overly saturated sky especially I guess, but Paul can explain what he meant.

I like the image and the idea is fun. I just find the overall image to be too dark to appreciate.

Paul

Former Member
Can you explain this "overly saturated" thing a bit more please?

What i meant was the sky and the grass are really rich in colour, so rich it as become very dark - too dark actually, especially around the grass areas.
The area around the sun looks blown out because of the deep richness of the orange/dark red.

I get that it's a sunset image and that it is a fantasy themed project, but the overall image is way too dark for it to be anywhere near believable for me, also the bear as a sun haze in front of it, it needs to be somewhere near the bright red/orange of the sun and not a washed out pale white.

Even a black and white version works better for me:
blacwhitset.jpg

Subdued colours and added some other bits in:
colourset.jpg

But at the end of the day it is what you feel happy with.

OMGiBrokeMyTablet

Thanks a lot Paul! Very appreciated. I'll try to modify the saturation & everything one of these days, as well as inform me about color balance, saturation, the levels etc.

Thanks again :)

Paul

Former Member
Can't wait for your next dive into Photoshop.

ibclare

Queen Bee
@ibclare no you explain it please:mrgreen:

I think you explained it quite well Paul. I like the B&W rendition too.

I agree that the grass in the background is too bright and almost mentioned that but given the brightness of the sunset. Well, I guess in that case it would have been equally so in the forground.

Anyway, what I would say is, tone down the brightness of the sky and grass and bring up the brightness of the rest of the image. As I commented before, I can barely make out some details beyond the sky and the grass and that kind of ruins it for me.