What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

c and c , too much or good????

egosbar

Guru
been watching ben willmore tutorials , selective curve adjustments etc , wondering if ive gone to far or not?

Attachments

• mje-giff.gif
    mje-giff.gif
    412.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
30 views and no comments...
Probably spiders.

I get the overall darkening but what in the world is lightening the wheel on the right?
What's that supposed to be doing?

That was the first thing I noticed........its like a baboons arse! :rofl:

Apart from that, what did you set out to do?
If you wanted it to look like an ocean scene then I'm afraid you failed...big time.

Without knowing the 'Intent', its difficult to say if you achieved it.

Regards.
MrTom.

egosbar

Guru
yeah your right it is too bright , i definitely didnt want an ocean scene not sure why youd think that , it was a country sunrise scene i was after

im going to darken the front wheel a bit see how that looks

having another look i had a couple of layers turned off , i didnt think it was that bright , i was checking layers and forgot to turn a couple on

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
yeah your right it is too bright...
Having a direct comparison via the animated gif probably just exacerbated the issue.
Had you just posted the adjusted image it may not have been quite so noticeable.

i definitely didnt want an ocean scene not sure why youd think that...
I didn't.
It was mearly an over-exagerated example to reinforce the fact that your 'intent' was unknown.

having another look i had a couple of layers turned off , i didnt think it was that bright , i was checking layers and forgot to turn a couple on
If its any consolation I have a knack of doing that too....annoying isn't it?

I forgot to mention before but I didn't think the original image really needed anything else doing to it...maybe a gradient over the sky but that would be all.....its a great image as it is.

Regards.
MrTom.

egosbar

Guru
dont like the sun spots , do you have any advice on reducing those when shooting , i was using nikon d7100 and tokina 11-16 , first time using a wide angle lens

ive turned back on the layers and replaced the giff , i think your right when its in animation form it looks brighter then what it looks if you see the image by itself although a lot less then before lol , for my taste the edited version i think would like nicer framed it just has that bit more going on , i love the way the light is falling in the backround

really happy to get 1700 likes on facebook and 160 odd on national geographic site , to get even 20 likes is hard unless you get your shot in the daily dozen so i was stoked with that

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Yeah, that looks better.

I'd say those spots, (not the lens flare), where just dirt or dust particles on the lens....highlighted by the direct sunlight.
Had you have shielded the lens from being in direct sunlight they probably wouldn't be noticeable.

A rubber 'hood' can help prevent this and also having a perfectly clean lens but you can bet something will land on it just at the point of shooting regardless of how clean you get it.

Other than that I dunno really. I'm sure someone else will have a better solution.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I hate commenting on edits like this because I don't want to sound too negative. To answer your question.......Too much! Less is more. Sorry.

I wouldn't place a lot of value in facebook likes. One of your comments from Nat Geo states, you need to lay off the Photoshop! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Tom, the sun is in the picture. By definition, no lens hood can possibly stop the sunlight from hitting the lens.

Tom M

MrToM

Guru
True.

I understood the OP was asking for tips with future shots, that was mine.

Regards.
MrTom.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Tom - I understood, but I thought he was talking about shots which had diffractive sun rays, so the sun had to be in the frame. U took a more general POV :)

Tom M

egosbar

Guru
I hate commenting on edits like this because I don't want to sound too negative. To answer your question.......Too much! Less is more. Sorry.

I wouldn't place a lot of value in facebook likes. One of your comments from Nat Geo states, you need to lay off the Photoshop! :thumbsup:

i dont place value on facebook likes it was just a high number compared to what i normally see which was nice , i place more value on the nat geo likes of 157 without being part of the daily dozen , everyone has different tastes but i do agree it was a little saturated , maybe i was looking too long , i normally dont like high saturated images , so i desaturated by -20 i think it looks much better now, do you still think its overworked as the same amount of work was done but just de sat a little

i think the light looks more interesting then the original raw file but again thats on my monitor and my taste , coming from an art backround im trying to make the image pleasing without overcooking , that will continue to improve with time , having only photoshopped for 18 months ive still got a lot to learn although ive been studying a lot and finding things easier and quicker to do

dont be sorry about commenting thats why i put it up for c and c and im glad i did i like the de sat better and that come from having different eyes look , when i used to paint i always asked people to critique before i finished , photoshop is a much better medium and so much less messy , and you can add a layer without waiting for oil to dry

Attachments

• MJE_giff2.gif
    MJE_giff2.gif
    403.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: