What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nothing but smudge tool

Paul

Former Member
Thanks Sam, just messing around seeing what i can and can't get the tool to do, varying the size and pressure works well, adding in some highlights and shadows too, lots of blurring and smudging over that, could have gone on for hours but you really need to keep it looking like the original facially as not to wreck who it actually is, good fun though.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I like the effect. I have played a little with the Smudge Tool but not to this extent. Have you tried the Mixer Brush Tool?

Paul

Former Member
Yeah another great tool for painting in with.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I haven't tried it yet, maybe I can find some time to take it for a spin.

Tom Mann

Guru
Great job, Paul. My reaction exactly parallels Sam's. I've never tried using it to the extent that you just demonstrated. As young folks would say, that's AWESOME! Spurred by your demo, I'll have to play around with it myself.

Thanks for posting that.

Tom

Wow!
Great one Paul! A very convincing result.
I never tried the smudge tool for a job like this one before.

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
I am in the process of improving that last entry, with said mixer brush for added colour depth and reapply beard stubble, try it guys it's very therapeutic, i only spent half hour on the first one like i said just seeing what can be done and how far to take it without loosing the original image.

Paul

Former Member
Try it mate, anyone can have a go, use my original image to work from if you like.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
It's hard to make ole Nicholson anything but cool! Good job Paul, I love to do these too,

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tomorrow I'm going to try out these tools. I've been meaning to mess with them since Mike was experimenting with them a while back.

Great job Pauly, the shadow ring across the forehead could be darker the closer it gets to the hat.

This area where the hat and forehead meet, seems a bit light to me....
Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 9.18.25 AM.png

MrToM

Guru
Well that's different.....and excellent!

You've taken 'Finger Painting' to a whole new level there!

What's next week......potato printing?

Cool stuff Paul....nice one.

Regards.
MrTom.

PS...Like the new Avatar too.....for those that don't know its part of a UK Public Information Film about how to avoid the spreading of germs whilst sneezing.....obvious really. :rofl:

Paul

Former Member
Thanks chrisdesign it means a lot coming from you, i was just playing around lucky for me as i have no patience for in depth shopping lately, my eyes are getting older i think.