What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skin Retouching

cyberwasp

I hope I'm not stepping on some ones toes but I'd like an critique on the same subject if it' ok.

Attachments

• poppy-a.jpg
    poppy-a.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 14
  • poppy-b.jpg
    poppy-b.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 8

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Skin retouching with frequency separation

Cyberswap, are these your images?

Hi Cyberwasp
Your images looks too orange/Red.
I removed your profile (Color LCD) and opened it in sRGB. This is better for most browsers. The colors already look more natural.
The retouching is well done, but I would soften the picture a little.
poppy-bw_Chris.jpg

Last edited:

cyberwasp

Re: Skin retouching with frequency separation

My sisters actually. she went on a tour and poppy Montgomery posed for her. she also signed a release for them. I would not have used them otherwise

cyberwasp

Hmmm, need to figure that out. on my system the look just like you posted. Not sure why my posts seem too hot

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
cyberwasp,
Do you have a calibrated monitor and color managed workflow setup? If you intend to be serious about color work it just has to be. Just saying ..if you don't you should.
Hmmm, need to figure that out. on my system the look just like you posted. Not sure why my posts seem too hot

Rajeev Desai

psg-52354a.png

Just learning the art, can't be a good critique! :)

But I manipulated the photo to make it a bit more 'angelic', softer, and smoother. I hope OP likes it. :)

Regards!

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
A factor contributing to your images being too hot is probably because of the exact reason Chris gave:

"I removed your profile (Color LCD) and opened it in sRGB."

To state it differently, you are outputting images tagged with the wrong color profile. Images meant to be viewed on the web should always be in sRGB, They should never be in an output device color profile such as "Color LCD". There are several ways this could have happened, but one of the most likely is that you incorrectly selected "Color LCD" as your working color space. This profile is not meant to be used as a working space, only as a device output profile (ie, to feed images to a monitor connected directly to your system).

That being said, I am puzzled by other aspects of this image: This image appears to have been published here on this website:
http://www.imnotobsessed.com/2011/0...-montgomery2011-09-27_08-53-39late-show-pair/

On that website, the image is in sRGB and has the same color as yours. Poppy certainly does not look like that in person, so something else is going on. The obvious processing that has already taken place, the size of the image you posted, and the presence of all the JPG compression artifacts strongly suggests that this image is a copy of a (poor) copy, eg, from the above mentioned ( or other) web page, not directly from your sister's camera. If you want to work on it, and you (not just your sister) have permission to do so, I suggest you ask your sister for a cleaner copy. One loses quality every time there is a color space conversion (ie, as Chris did), and it's already pretty grubby.

Also, since it's obviously already been reasonably well processed (except for the color and over-sharpening), why don't you just ask your sister how she photographed and retouched it. I, for one, would be very interested to know.

Tom M

cyberwasp

Tom, my apologies to you and the group. I'm thinking of murdering my sister right now right now. When I asked her about the tag she said she put it in herself. I should have known better and checked the met data. I was just trying to learn the frequency separation technique and figured it was a good practice file . Again my apologies.

Rajeev Desai

Tom, my apologies to you and the group. I'm thinking of murdering my sister right now right now. When I asked her about the tag she said she put it in herself. I should have known better and checked the met data. I was just trying to learn the frequency separation technique and figured it was a good practice file . Again my apologies.

** edited ** My apologies, Cyberwasp!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Rajeev, I'm not sure what your point is............. cyberswap is NOT claiming that Poppy Montgomery is his sister.

IamSam said:
Cyberswap, are these your images

cyberswap said:
[highlight]My sisters actually.[/highlight] she went on a tour and poppy Montgomery posed for her. she also signed a release for them. I would not have used them otherwise

Rajeev Desai

Rajeev, I'm not sure what your point is............. cyberswap is NOT claiming that Poppy Montgomery is his sister.
Extremely sorry, Cyberwasp, and all others. I read only a part of that statement and got into a confusion. Will make a point to read complete posts. Sorry guys... If possible, I request you to please remove my last two posts.

Thank you, IamSam for making me understand. God bless!

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Rajeev,
IMHO this retouch is overdone. Lots of work here I know, but she has lost the reality quality.
Ra jeev Desai;1533696847 said:
View attachment 50079

Just learning the art, can't be a good critique! :)

But I manipulated the photo to make it a bit more 'angelic', softer, and smoother. I hope OP likes it. :)

Regards!

Tom Mann

Guru
Taking the OP at his word that he has rights to this image, here is how I would try to bring it partially back to more normal colors and reduce the highly unflattering over-sharpening. Intentionally, I left a (much reduced) red cast remain because presumably the intent of the original was to emphasize her hair and skin color, but they went way too far in this direction.

T

PS - Click through to the original size to evaluate the skin texture. Unfortunately, the forum software introduces artifacts in generation of the in-thread image previews and this really can distort the perception of textures.

Attachments

• poppy-a-tjm01-acr-ps01a_sRGB-01_full_rez-instr_only.jpg
    poppy-a-tjm01-acr-ps01a_sRGB-01_full_rez-instr_only.jpg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 9

Tom Mann

Guru
...and if one wanted even less red, it's easy to do. Unfortunately, some of the artifacts of the starting image still show through and make her skin look lumpy / gritty, but hopefully this is a considerable improvement on the starting image we all used.

T

Attachments

• poppy-a-tjm01-acr-ps01a_sRGB-02_full_rez-instr_only-less_red.jpg
    poppy-a-tjm01-acr-ps01a_sRGB-02_full_rez-instr_only-less_red.jpg
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 7

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for the kind words, Chris. If this was real work, there would be a lot more to do (...especially the general lumpiness and remnants of the grunge, the lips and surrounding areas, still not really happy with the skin texture, my re-light of the face & shadows, etc.), but for a little demo like this, that's all I'm going to do.

Oh, BTW, thanks for cluing me in to the color space problem. I probably would have eventually discovered it, but it would have taken me some time. Being aware of it enabled me to start at a much better place.

Best,

Tom

Last edited: