What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Day into night

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Hi everyone, I'm back.
The past months I practiced a lot of techniques but didn't keep the projects.
But this one I like and please let me know what you think about it and don't spare the critiques!

alley day.jpgalley night.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Hi Sam and thank you.
I tried a brighter version to divulge a bit more details but it ruined the 'mood'.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, the lighting is just about perfect. How much highlighting did you do (on gate) on surrounding objects after you added the streetlamp light?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Well Sam, actually I did not 'add' the streetlamp light.
I duplicated the backgroundlayer and applied a photofilter (warming filter (85) at 100 %)(or color at will).
Then I added a layer mask and brushed away (depending on the brushhardness) until the remaining lighting.
For the rimlighting on exposed objects and the fence I did the same. On some parts I used the dodge tool to accentuate the effect and fade the orange color. It's a bit more work (ctrl+z) but the result seemed good.
I did the lightbulb with a zero hardness brush.(Pressed until the result was good)
For the rimlights on the roof (white moonlight) I used the dodge tool.

I forgot to say that on the first duplicated backgroundlayer I did an adjustmentlayer 'moonlight' and correct it to darken the blue color. (I am using CS6)

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
EGGY said:
Well Sam, actually I did not 'add' the streetlamp light.
Yes you did. The streetlamp was already there.........the light was not. Honest misunderstanding. Lol!

I was more interested in the highlights I "think" I can see on the gate that might have been done by you after you added the streetlamp light.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
That is correct. In a manner I discribed in my previous post.
This way (I honestly don't know any other way) I can add my artistic view on the project.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok...........let me try it this way.....

did you use the brush tool to add the highlights on the gate?
Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 9.58.44 AM.png

Did you use a tool to add the highlights on these shutters?
Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 9.59.28 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry EGGY, if I'm not understanding you............I apologize.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Well Sam, in the first case I used a layer mask on the 'blue' background and brushed away the gate with under it the 'orange' background. I highlighted some parts with the dodge tool.
On the shutters I used the dodge tool. (after masking with the polygon masktool)

The rest will follow tomorrow, I'm leaving for bowling practice.
See you tomorrow.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, just as you said before! Thanks, I think I have it now!

As I said before, great job!

You've done a wonderful job on this one Eggy! Very believable and very natural.
Only suggestion: I would remove the black cable in the sky.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
@hershy314: thank you for the comment. By the way, this is not a technique I invented but borrowed from a tut I saw about a month ago or so. Of course mine was my own interpretation.
It took me half an hour to find it back but it comes from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXZOKqDbgpY
@chrisdesign: also thanks for the comment and yes, the black cable is disturbing. At first I was planning to add rimlight on top of the cable caused by moonlight . But I think that the focus is the alley itself and too much detail arround could take away the focus.
I'll remove the cable and post an update.
Here is the update

Attachments

• steegje nacht.jpg
    steegje nacht.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Ok, just as you said before! Thanks, I think I have it now!

As I said before, great job!

Hi Sam. I think that we were not on the same wavelenght at one point. I got a bit confused, sorry about that.

Altaifus

I too like your approach with the light, very nice. Didn`t think of doing that, but it worked nicely for you.
Good job!