What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Photo Retouch...

Double O Photo

Folks here is an image that I did my first EVER attempt at retouching. it is an image of myself when I was a child (obviously) I did this retouch about 6 years ago, and am planning on totally redoing it again soon---

16179739447_33298f28d3_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would like to see a more recent attempt at this photo showing how much you may have improved before I can offer an opinion. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with Sam...why don't you start from scratch. But make sure you work from the original scanned image with a good resolution.

Paul

Former Member
Welcome aboard DOP, a nice reworking of your image.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Nice job Double O Photo.
I've always enjoyed the challenge of restoring old photos.

FYI, I replaced your link with the actual image.
It helps protect us from broken links in the future and helps keep the thread useful to future members.

Tom Mann

Guru
Very nice job, especially considering you had just started out when you did it.

If you want to go a bit further, without a lot of extra work, let me suggest that if you make no more adjustments except nail the whites, blacks, and pure gray tones (ie, as having no color), you will immediately see a major improvement in your image. Correcting these will also help actual colors like the red in the sweater and the boy's face color.

I couldn't resist doing a bit more than that, but just getting those colors right is probably 75% of what you see in the attached image. A good way to do this is to use the black, white and gray eyedroppers in "curves" tool.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• 16179739447_33298f28d3_b-tjm01-acr-ps01a-01.jpg
    16179739447_33298f28d3_b-tjm01-acr-ps01a-01.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 3

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Tom is right on. To demonstrate the power of curves,,this is the change that can be achieved with 3 mouse clicks on the highlight,midtones and shadows eye droppers.
boycolor.PNG