What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul

Former Member
Nice, but i would have only messed with the grass left everything else as is (natural).
As long as the clients happy i suppose.

Tom Mann

Guru
I think you did an absolutely great job, but I have found that most of my clients / publications prefer pix that are clearly different (eg, brighter, more saturated, better control of lighting, etc.) than what they could take themselves on their own camera.

So, I would:

(a) Brighten up the house, since that is likely what they are the most interested in;

(b) Go slightly further that you did in brightening up the shadow areas of the image; and,

(c), Add some color into the almost completely blown out sky.

These sorts of tweaks almost always make for a more generally acceptable, professional looking image, the obvious exception being intentionally high-key or low-key images.

Tom M

landscape_editing_by_masoumehtavakoli_art-d865862-tjm01-acr-ps02b_sRGB-bottom_only-8bpc-for_GIF0.gif

Wow! Thank you so much, I will use these tips for my future works.
How about this one the client wanted this plane to be covered, He liked this result but I want to know pros ideas too.
before-after tavakoli.JPG

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
1. With respect to your color balance and exaggerated clouds - One has to be very, very careful when intentionally imparting "a look" like this (which includes color grading) to a client's image. If at all possible, I will schedule a planning meeting and load my iPad with a bunch of pix with similar content, but different looks and carefully observe the client's reactions to each. So, instead of inadvertently biasing their opinion by showing them pix of their jet and what effects you like, showing them other examples to which they have no emotional attachment will yield a vastly more accurate understanding of what they like, and what they don't like.

Personally, for a client job like this (as contrasted with an attempt at photgraphic art), I would never have clouds with a yellow cast and exaggerated local contrast. However, each client and each photographer is different, so you absolutely must check with them before start work on such a project.

2. In contrast, there are two aspects of this picture that could clearly be improved, and which wouldn't be controversial in the least:

(a) the houses and other structures that clutter up the background; and,

(b) the tarmac.

Clone out the buildings in the background, and give your customer a nice uncluttered horizon line. Next, desaturate, reduce the contrast, vignette, fix the cracks, paint out the lines, and reduce all the remaining details (ie, structure) visible in the tarmac. The way it currently is, one's eyes are immediately torn between multiple centers of interest in these pix, whereas it should be very clear that THE center of interest is the jet -- not the tarmac, nor the houses in the background, nor the clouds. I regularly shoot pix of big trucks in parking lots (not jets on a tarmac), and I will almost always fix up imperfections and distractions in the road surface and and generally make the road much less visually interesting.

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
One more point, having the sky be darker than the jet (especially, in your "before" image) is visually odd. In nature, this usually can happen only under relatively rare meteorological / lighting conditions.

Consciously or not, when one sees this, one's brain is trying to figure out where is all the light on the subject coming from. This very subject has been much discussed in the context of disturbing visual discrepancies, specifically, "tonal reversals" in HDR photography.

Tom M

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Wow! Thank you so much, I will use these tips for my future works.
How about this one the client wanted this plane to be covered, He liked this result but I want to know pros ideas too.
View attachment 55273

I certainly like the way you "gift-wrapped" the jet for the client..... but the entire scene throws it off.

Photoshop gave the ability to manipulate and create one's vision of reality.

The customer is always right, they say. But there's no harm in presenting another version for him to choose from.

For your image, a change of sky can brighten the mood of the scene. And like Tom Mann, it's a good idea to clone out the clutter of buildings in the background and add in a different view in the distance - maybe a different but clearer mountain scene that complements the new sky. As well as brightening up the tarmac to match the new scene.

And don't forget to take in consideration the light source when selecting new images to splice in. This is important in getting the ambiance of the scene right.....