What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another VIKING (with WIP)

Very nice work Agent!

WIP (work in progress). Is this common way to colorize drawings?
It looks like you also use parts of the original photo? Like Eyes, mouth, ears?
Anyway, the result looks great. Can you explain a bit more about the way you work please?

Very nice work Agent!

WIP (work in progress). Is this common way to colorize drawings?
It looks like you also use parts of the original photo? Like Eyes, mouth, ears?
Anyway, the result looks great. Can you explain a bit more about the way you work please?

Chris,

I don't know how others do it. I have learned much of mytechnique from Loopey Dave (my hero!), and from some digital painting books. Iselect a photo for reference, then hand-draw my caricature. I scan it and openit in Photoshop.
I open the reference photo as well and often eyedrop my colorpalette right off the photo. I do NOT, however, use any portion(s) or theoriginal photo in my drawing. Everything is hand-drawn. I just paint mycaricature using the same colors and textures (as best I can) as the original photo.

I don't know if there's a special name for it, but I referto these as realistic, or photo-realistic, caricatures.
Let me know if you want any other info on the process.Loopey Dave and others have great tutorials on deviantart for this type of work.

Agent

I checked on Loopey Dave's work...just amazing.
Thanks again Agent, you did great job yourself on the Lagertha image.

Regards Chris