What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion wanted and some help requested !!

Hi all I'm quiet new to the photoshop scene but 'tootling' along :D

Here's some of my work (with before and after)

1: a simple mess about practise with colouring in B&W
original.jpgblack-and-white-portrait-digital-photography-using-Photoshop.jpg

2: My Great-grandfather, a Royal Artillery soldier from WW1 before and after I repaired and colored
GJ original.jpg Grandad Jennings Final.jpg

3:The above gentleman's son; My grandfather (this one I need help with, just not happy with uniform color) he was a Royal horse guard and served in Cyprus war
ron.jpg grandad ron better 2.jpg

4. Me (top left), when I was in the Army, 2001 - heavily damaged (need help with sky, only part I'm unhappy with)
Army Original Knackered.jpg Me Army.jpg

5: Lastly, my grandfathers, grandparents (my great, great grandparents) never knew these and I'm struggling to repair and fix damage)

IMG_20170107_0008.jpg cottles.jpg

So that's that...

Feedback would be very much appreciated (what you think of my work / how could I improve etc) as would any actual assistance!

Thanks in advance :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey,

Just a quick question, in the last image (GG Grands) you say you are struggling to repair damage. How did you repair the damage of the G Grandfather and you in the Army from 2001? Wouldn't the repair work be similar to the other edits?

Yes Sam the same techniques would probably work if it wasn't for the crease going right through the ladies face, thankfully in my Army photo most of the faces were intact and the green uniform was easy to use patch tool or smudge tool on however if you look at the crease on my great grandfathers leg (WW1 pic) you'll see in the edited version you can just about still see the crease. I don't want a visible crease still going through the ladies face as she'll look like something from a Frankenstein movie.

If you could give me some tips on how to fill a crease so its no longer visible at all I'd appreciate it and do it myself.

If I could do it myself, I would have but instead I thought I'd approach yourselves for friendly advice.

Thanks !

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes Sam the same techniques would probably work if it wasn't for the crease going right through the ladies face
The same techniques will also work on the ladies (your GG Grandmother) face. You did an excellent job with the damage on your Great Grandfathers image.

Lee Tempo Tempo Jennings said:
thankfully in my Army photo most of the faces were intact and the green uniform was easy to use patch tool or smudge tool on however if you look at the crease on my great grandfathers leg (WW1 pic) you'll see in the edited version you can just about still see the crease.
Are you using the Spot Healing Brush Tool and the Clone Stamp Tool?

Lee Tempo Tempo Jennings said:
If you could give me some tips on how to fill a crease so its no longer visible at all I'd appreciate it and do it myself.
Sure, not a problem. Based on your examples above, I was under the impression and wrongly assumed that you knew how to deal with the damage.

Duplicate the original image.
Straighten and crop the duplicate image.
Make any lighting and contrast adjustments to the duplicate.
Create a new layer above the duplicated image.
Use the Spot Healing Brush Tool to clean up any splotches.
Use the Healing Brush Tool to even out large areas.
Use the Clone Stamp Tool to repair the "cracks". Set the clone sample mode to "current & below", Zoom in on your work, lower the tools flow rate if needed, sample close to the area to be replaced, sample often, work at right angels to the sample areas up and down or side to side.
Use the Brush Tool and stippling brush to add color and simulate grain.

If you need help with anything I've described, just ask.

Seaco

Power User
Hi

I have redone the pic of your Grandmother would you like me to post it here?

Seaco.