What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to paint something like this?

xaverianite

Hello All -
I have been using Photoshop for minor image adjustments, restorations and image enhancements.
Recently I leanred about Photo Painting and making photos looks like canvas art which gives a very good painting looks. I assume these are done in Photoshop and not in Corel Painter.

Also, this does not look like Smudg art as these sharp photos and there seems to be lot of hard edge brush being used for effects.
Despite my many trials I could not achieve these kind of effects in photoshop.
These are called Paintovers or PhotoPainting in general.
Can anyone of you help me to learn or understand how can I achieve these smooth yet shapr effects and with these beautiful color blending?
There are many examples on this website which facinates me to try one of my own.
Any help would be great for me towards learning these effects.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul

Former Member
The whole idea of Photoshop is to be creative, plenty of tools in the box to try and replicate your desired effect, also many plug ins offer said same effects.

I have left this up as it still carries valid information for others to read from.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi xaverianite,
I love to use Photoshop to do digital painting. Here is just one of quite a few threads I have posted. Take a look at this and maybe you will get a bit of direction from it.
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/show-board/46632-painting-photoshop-redfield-filter.html
Hello All -
I have been using Photoshop for minor image adjustments, restorations and image enhancements.
Recently I leanred about Photo Painting and making photos looks like canvas art which gives a very good painting looks. I assume these are done in Photoshop and not in Corel Painter.

Also, this does not look like Smudg art as these sharp photos and there seems to be lot of hard edge brush being used for effects.
Despite my many trials I could not achieve these kind of effects in photoshop.
These are called Paintovers or PhotoPainting in general.
Can anyone of you help me to learn or understand how can I achieve these smooth yet shapr effects and with these beautiful color blending?
There are many examples on this website which facinates me to try one of my own.
Any help would be great for me towards learning these effects.

Many Thanks in Advance.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Digital painting I think is different from taking a photograph and turning it into a painting. It doesn't mean drawing which I understand is what digital painting is. But I could be wrong.

I googled "turn photo into painting in photoshop" found a number of tutorials using those search terms. I personally wouldn't give any advice on a method until I had tried it myself. Yes, one of these uses the smudge tool, but the strokes look like brush strokes.

If I were wanting to do this, I would take a quick look at each tut and see if the result is what you want, then try it out.

maybe you'll get some opinion of methods from some of our members who have done this technique.

If I've gotten your request wrong then . . . ignore this post. :rofl:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Regardless of the proper term, I think it's fun to turn a photo into a faux painting. I never had much luck with the smudge tool. The mixer brush is the thing to use because of the wide selection different kinds of brushes and their dynamics. Some study on the subject helps . Here is the Adobe link http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/painting-mixer-brush.html

Paul

Former Member
Above all it's fun, and fun be what keeps me happy:mrgreen:

Alex Agapov

Could you attach some example pictures?

If you mean drawing something from scratch, that is called "digital painting" and it's a great direction to be learned and explored.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Alex Agapov If you look in the upper left hand corner of the original post, located on the blue separation bar, you will see the posting date of the first post. Also take notice of the number of posts made by the OP.

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 8.31.56 AM.png

The OP did not even respond to the comments left for them almost a year ago. We also discussed the fact that this was referred to as digital painting.

In the future, you might take these into consideration before responding to these older threads. Thanks.

Alex Agapov

Right. Sorry for digging this up, will pay attention next time. Not that my answer was very useful, after all.