What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drawing Tablet - Advice please

WV1989

Hoogle

Guru
In all honesty I really do not think it matters which 1 you buy as your 1st tablet, I always say to people the cheaper the better, only then once you get an understanding and feel on how they work and feel then maybe move onto something that is better. I say this lightly because when it comes to IT equipment I also say buy the best that you can afford.

However would you rely on a $10 mouse or spend $100 the same principal is with a tablet sure if you got spare cash that is not needed go and buy a nice tablet, But I have been there when so many people splashed out $400 on a tablet used it a few times and decided they prefer a mouse and hated the tablet.

The other option is to try and borrow 1 if you can to see if you like it.

However if it is digital painting/drawing your after then I guess you will have to learn to use it and have it become 2nd nature to you eventually. now wacom pretty much are the industry leaders for tablets but doesnt always mean they are good value for money especially as a new user. you may find a cheaper brand that will have extra features such as shortcut buttons and gestures etc.

so to sum up don't worry to much about the cost of your 1st tablet if you like it and feel it could be better then upgrade it when your ready. If you have set aside some money and have decided this is a hobby/ professional choice then maybe splash out a bit more so your not just buying 1 to replace. My first tablet was a Trust it was half price at the time and it was brilliant but wore down pretty quickly and was later upgraded to wacom. I find the drawing and responsiveness of wacoms better than anything else I have tried but feel your paying a lot just for a tablet, and if you want extra functions they come at a heavy price.

Good Luck

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Bought the ones where I could spend as little as possible, mostly Wacoms over the years, got hooked on them and graduated to a $300.00 Wacom Intuos Pro in December. Never would I go back there is so much difference.

WV1989

Thank you very much for your replies, really appreciate it, This one is a Huion H610 professional Art Graphics Drawing Tablet 10 x6.25 It only costs £30 - £40 - so nice and cheap. I will give this one a run! as you stated its only to start learning on - I want to gauge what its like drawing on Tablet and it being on the screen - hopefully it can help me get around some bad sketching habbits i have (leaning on the page when I have just finished a section, always smudging it - Obviously starting in the wrong corner!).

Thanks again.

hawkeye

Guru
In general I recommend that people buy something they can grow into, rather than grow out of. Budget permitting of course.

inkpad.t

Guru
Take a look around on YouTube at reviews of the various tablets in your price range before you buy....I did this and ended up starting an a basic bamboo ( wacom } ...now called intuos... it was also cheap... I did this because as hawkeye stated.. you grow into that range/make of tablet further down the line. I think it cost around £ 70.00 at the time... push if you can for the extra 30 quid.. it made my day. BUT THAT DOESN'T mean other tablets are not just as good.. its just the road i took, but check them out on YouTube reviews.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Thank you very much for your replies, really appreciate it, This one is a Huion H610 professional Art Graphics Drawing Tablet 10 x6.25 It only costs £30 - £40 - so nice and cheap. I will give this one a run! as you stated its only to start learning on - I want to gauge what its like drawing on Tablet and it being on the screen - hopefully it can help me get around some bad sketching habbits i have (leaning on the page when I have just finished a section, always smudging it - Obviously starting in the wrong corner!).

Thanks again.

I can add to this that I bought a Turcom tablet which is made by Huion. I had problems with the driver which was the Huion driver. Worked sometimes, sometimes not. The original driver that I installed it with was a real pain. I got Hurion to send me another one and it was just as crappy. Maybe they have improved it but this was the one I had before I went back to Wacom. The thing added $500.00 worth of aggravation to save $50.00 or so if I had bought a lower end Wacom. Wacom works first time, everytime. Good luck.

Last edited: