What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General guidance needed

Alex Agapov

Hello,

I have recently started digital painting and my intentions are quite serious, but I've caught myself doing some typical newbie's mistakes:
  1. I have no idea how to use color and all successful results are just lucky hits
  2. I get caught up in detail too early, failing to maintain the same level of detail on the whole picture

But the main problem, I believe, is the following: once I draw a good-looking schematic outline of the whole picture (just like in them guru time-lapse videos) I have no idea how to move on. I just can't start adding detail. Here is my latest attempt, which I think looks pretty good (critiques accepted! :) ) but I'm currently unable to do anything else with it.

Untitled.png

(I tried to find the SPOILER button, honestly!)

Huge thanks for any help,
Alex

Last edited:

Alex Agapov

Thank you! :) I'm more used to doing things with a black pen, this way it looks more... complete, so to say. But I really wish to master the digital approach!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Very nice work Alex. I guess for me the question would be, what level of detail are you hoping to achieve?

Alex Agapov

Well, I'm sure you heard of it - it's a technique featuring quick strokes without spending too much time on a single part of the picture. The level of detail in such pictures is a way of bringing one's attention to different parts of the image, pretty much like focus in protography.

It might be that I'm wrong and I've completely misunderstood the meaning of the word "speedpaint", but a quick google search didn't support that possibility.

P.S. the Deviantart author I've linked to above provides timelapse videos of his works, that's a great opportunity to learn!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, I was just curious as speedart and speed painting would be two different things. Speedart is the time lapsed videos which are not at all helpful in learning. You may get to see how the image progresses, but you do not receive any detailed instruction on how it's done in Photoshop.

Speed painting almost never produces highly detailed results. But it's a very common form of painting.

Alex Agapov

You are right, timelapse vids never explain things. But still, one could see and copy the process, which helps a lot. I learned a great deal of what I know now this way, but I'm still too scared to go on and spoil some pictures practicing. My great problem is that I'm so afraid of making something mediocre, that I would rather not make anything at all.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You are right, timelapse vids never explain things. But still, one could see and copy the process, which helps a lot. I learned a great deal of what I know now this way
Yes, you can learn a lot provided you have some advanced knowledge of Photoshop. You still have to be able to interpret what is being done, for a new Ps user, they can be a bit lost.

Alex Agapov said:
but I'm still too scared to go on and spoil some pictures practicing. My great problem is that I'm so afraid of making something mediocre, that I would rather not make anything at all.
Oh don't be! That's the one spectacular advantage of Photoshop is that you can work in layers.........you can never spoil anything!

I know you've heard the saying, "You must walk before you run". Mediocrity is nothing more than a step closer to the goal you wish to achieve! Your first attempts are just training sessions. You can't be perfect in the beginning, it takes patience, perseverance, and practice!

Alex Agapov

Yep, I know it can be too quick sometimes but mainly there are 3 things done onscreen: actual painting with Brush tool, scaling things and playing around with different color settings. So far I've had little problem following the videos.

Thank you very much for the advice! I know I just have to keep working, but I often feel like I'm achieving nothing and just screwing tons of digital paper :D