What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pencil Drawing

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Again, excellent work. For me the hair seems to have been done in a much looser style than the face and draws attention. But I like it.

Paul

Former Member
This one for me is more of a cartoon drawing than an actual face of a real person, i do like the inner ear though.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Manny Pacquiao by any chance? I couldn't find a photo that matches it to compare....

Overall, it looks good.

But the eyebags look a bit too prominent. My eyes are constantly drawn to it (maybe it's just me). I think the shading should be a bit more softer. Or to add more shadows to the facial features to add a bit more depth and blend it in. Unless that's how it looks in the original... ?

And the upper lip looks kinda off. The top clef should be in line with the moustache center. As it stands, looks like a Kirk-ish smirk with a moustache (then again, Shatner has a weird smirk...lol). Maybe if you modify to balance out the lower lip to match the symmetry of the upper?

But if that's how the facial features and expression looks in the original and you don't intend to modify it, then it should be OK....

ibclare

Queen Bee
As for the cartoon like character, and the other critiques, they are all fine. Just please remember what it means to be the artist. Agent has been doing his renderings for a long, long time. He has the artistic license to represent his protraits and other work however he likes. The dark lines around the face for instance are an artist's expression, and one which has a precedent. Look at Georges Henri Rouault and you'll see what I mean. http://mattstone.blogs.com/photos/sacred_images/apostles-georges-henri-rouault-fauvism.html

I once had a teacher who critiqued life drawings that were done by eager students but which took too many liberties (ad lib here) "you must learn the basics, the standards, you must draw what you see, before you have the liberty of self expression." One might want to paint or draw a scene using a fauvist technique, but it is imperative to learn how to draw the same without imposing a particular "style."

Some may argue this point, and I agree, there are some prodigies who can pick up on the things they see, interpret, and render their expression in a beautiful way before most of us would know what we are looking at. I'm not just talking of portriature or of realism. But you can look at the work of some who have not spent time to study, practice, (a constant process) and learn, and know they're poor copies.

Agent's work is his own style and I respect and admire that.

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Again, excellent work. For me the hair seems to have been done in a much looser style than the face and draws attention. But I like it.

Do you mean that the representation of highlights in the hair are different from highlights on the face? I can see that, and wonder if one style or the other might work better overall?

But it's cool Agent. I just think it needs a little more fleshing out.

Mostly I just suck at drawing hair. I leave it til last because I hate doing it, but I'm learning, and getting better. I appreciate that actual compliments, and the Korean guy is Cha Seung Won, a famous model/actor.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
LOL!! I hate drawing hair and I also suck at it, but I love to paint hair...................what's that all about?

Trying to learn from some of Loopy Dave's tutorials on painting digital hair. He is the holy grail of digital caricature painting, as far as I'm concerned.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I was just playing with some hair painting in Ps.

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 8.50.08 PM.png

I'll have to check out some of Dave's tuts.

As for the cartoon like character, and the other critiques, they are all fine. Just please remember what it means to be the artist. Agent has been doing his renderings for a long, long time. He has the artistic license to represent his protraits and other work however he likes. The dark lines around the face for instance are an artist's expression, and one which has a precedent. Look at Georges Henri Rouault and you'll see what I mean. http://mattstone.blogs.com/photos/sacred_images/apostles-georges-henri-rouault-fauvism.html

I once had a teacher who critiqued life drawings that were done by eager students but which took too many liberties (ad lib here) "you must learn the basics, the standards, you must draw what you see, before you have the liberty of self expression." One might want to paint or draw a scene using a fauvist technique, but it is imperative to learn how to draw the same without imposing a particular "style."

Some may argue this point, and I agree, there are some prodigies who can pick up on the things they see, interpret, and render their expression in a beautiful way before most of us would know what we are looking at. I'm not just talking of portriature or of realism. But you can look at the work of some who have not spent time to study, practice, (a constant process) and learn, and know they're poor copies.

Agent's work is his own style and I respect and admire that.

First, one of my replies disappeared. Now half the thread seems to be missing.

Strange.

I can officially confirm that Paul's comment that I should be sketching rather than copying faces is incorrect, as the tremendous amount of work I have put in to drawing portraits has helped my work sketches considerably.

I think this is a reasonable post.

chaaseemmie

Marvellous artistic work. I appreciate of your working i also want to do this type of sketching please give me some tips.

Chaaseemmie,

find a book on pencil portraiture at your local library, or amazon.com or whatever art store is nearby. I highly recommend getting tortillions for shading and smudging, and a decent set of art pencils.

Agent