What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Recently Hoogle posted a link to Picarto.TV.

I have spent an unusual amount of time watching other very talented artists paint. I have painted my entire life and it wasn't until a great friend of mine went from traditional paintbrushes and airbrushes over to the "sinful" Photoshop, did I ever consider digital painting. In fact, that was a huge reason why I originally purchased Ps in the first place. Unfortunately, I have not done much digital painting so I decided I need to get back to my roots.

I did this quick study of a Charlize Theron photo that I found on the internet.
Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 6.13.36 PM.png

I made a loose tracing to orient the painting and placed it on a gradated bg.
I'm not in the camp of painters that think you should have a well drawn sketch before you start.
Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 6.13.27 PM.png

Remember, this is a study and I did it fairly fast. I don't think that I'm at all as good with Ps as I was with traditional brushes.
But I'm bound and determined to get there with Photoshop. I'm having to teach myself new ways of doing things that I'm not accustomed to, so it's a bit rough.

CharlizeTheronPaint_02.jpg

I also noticed that this is my 10,000 post!

MrToM

Guru
Well there's a talent of yours I've not seen before!

Where were you hiding that?

Very impressive mate...:thumbsup:

Congrats on the milestone post count too!

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well there's a talent of yours I've not seen before!

Where were you hiding that?

Very impressive mate...:thumbsup:

Congrats on the milestone post count too!

Regards.
MrToM.

Thanks!

Painting has always been my passion. In my younger years, I used to do a lot of commercial illustration, graphic design, and commissioned artwork. I can still sling an airbrush with the best of them. But the digital age put an end to those days and I have been slow to transition............at least with painting. I've been sidetracked as Photoshop offers too many ways for me to vent my creative needs that I have just not been so interested in painting the past few years. It wasn't until I started watching those streams that I found a revived interest in painting again. I'm hoping to do more. I will do a few more in B&W then move on to some color.

Argos

Guru
amazing work!! I dont paint, so my opinion is not worth much XD, but in my opinion the detail in the eyes and hair are incredible.

The shadow work is what i like least, you paint it as well or just normal photoshop adjustments?

Great Work!

Cheers!

Paul

Former Member
:thumbsup: He who slithers always slides eventually, great work mate;)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
amazing work!! I dont paint, so my opinion is not worth much XD, but in my opinion the detail in the eyes and hair are incredible.

The shadow work is what i like least, you paint it as well or just normal photoshop adjustments?

Great Work!

Cheers!

Thanks. The shadows on her face are a bit too subtle, the skin tone from the reference was very even. I tried to match it as close as possible. I did not do any adjustments, this is just straight forward painting with the Brush Tool. I could also spend much more time working out details. This was mainly for practice. I need to experiment with what techniques are going to work best for me.

gedstar

Guru
Well there's a talent I never new you had Sam, excellent work and congratulations on your 10,003 post :clap:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
That is a really great amazing work Sam!

:clap:

And congratulations with your golden shield!

I'm at loss for words, though I see a big hidden talent behind your work. Wonderful job!
Don't be shy Sam, please show us some more!

And congrats to your 10,000 posts. A great achievement.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
gedstar Eggy chrisdesign

Thanks guys!

I'm setting up for my next painting project. I'm also busy reviewing those old tutorials I had bookmarked with some of the better (at least I thought so at the time) painting techniques. Doing this project has let me know just how much I don't know about how to transition from my old traditional painting techniques to digital.

Paul

Former Member
A short tut would be nice to see from you Sam, especially on the hair process please.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A short tut would be nice to see from you Sam, especially on the hair process please.

Well I didn't screenshot any of the hair painting process from this project, but I will on the next one. The hair, for me is the easiest part of the painting. It's a bit time consuming since I actually paint in each hair one stroke at a time. The trick with painting hair is working from the back to the front. Maybe I can make a short video tut.

Rich54

Guru
I think it's excellent. The whole thing is very well done, but I particularly like the hair, which for me is the hardest thing to render convincingly. I've also tried a couple of Photoshop portraits like this. For the ones I've done, I turned on the grid for both the original photo and my PS drawing, and then painstakingly drew whatever I saw within each box of the grid. That helped to get the overall proportions correct.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Rich54 Thanks!

Many moons ago I started out by painting from a grid, it was the accepted practice for a long time. I then started using an Artograph overhead projector to make minimal reference lines on the illustration board or canvas. For me, I don't need much in the way of a pre-painting drawing, it just seems to get in my way. When I was doing some commissioned portraits, I often made better reference lines, especially if there were a special trait about the individual that needed to be exact.

I would love to see some of your work.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks fantastic! Glad I asked. You should do more!

Rich54

Guru
Sam, you say the hair is the easiest part for you. This is another portrait I've been meaning to try (of the French actress Ludivine Sagnier), but I never got further than drawing the background. I'd love to see a tut from you on how you would tackle the hair. I think one of the reasons I never got very far with this one is that I secretly knew I couldn't do justice to the hair, which is the best part of the photo.

Ludivine_Sagnier_1024x768.jpg

Ludivine.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Paul was also asking for a hair tutorial. I will throw something together here in a few days. I will try to cover different types and colors of hair.

Your right though, Ludivine's crazy hair style would be quite a challenge but not impossible. This would be a case for very detailed reference lines!

You nailed the background.