What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Very nice drawing!

I wish I could do something like that.

Ah well, you have or you don't...

Argos

Guru
Nice Work! in my opinion i would fix the blury edges on the mouth and nose and maybe the moustache hair, i think is too thick and with light problems, as personal opinion dont like the background :cheesygrin:.

Cheers!

fredfish

Guru

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Before I offer any critique, I would like to see the reference photo you used to create the drawing.

edit: Found the original reference. I made it smaller.

YawningTigerSmall.jpg

Very nice work! I envy you for your drawing skills.

Though agree with what Argos mentioned. Your image would look way better without the dark smudges around the mouth and nose.

Helios

This is looking nice, good job so far. :)

Some things to consider, moving forward: I agree with others that the large area of black around the mouth is not quite right. Looking at a few photos of tigers, this black area is partially fleshy as well as furry, and it's usually coated in the animal's saliva. Some more detail and deliniation between fur and flesh in this area, and highlights to show moisture, would really add a sense of realism.
Secondly, where is the light coming from? There are highlights on the top of the tiger's head, but the background suggests the light is coming from below and to the right. It is ok to have both light sources, but the shading currently doesn't fit with this. It feels as if there would be a little more shadow under the chin for starters. Overall, really think about how the light would hit the tiger if it were a real object. Where would shadows be cast?

All that said, realism might not be a style you were going for, in which case it is a nice representation in a slightly graphic style. Some more details around the mouth would still help, whichever style you're looking to achieve here.

Keep it up! :thumbsup:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As of late, I'm a bit leery of offering critiques. I certainly don't want to discourage new potential artists. One of the things I always ask new artists is where are you going with your art? The best way to answer is to post examples of any artists work that you hope to emulate. The reason for this is to compare where you are today and to know how to help you to get to where you want to be.

I've been contemplating for a while now in how I would like to respond to the work you've posted in this thread and others. I can tell by your videos that your very confident in what your doing at the moment which is great. I think you will find that as your skills progress, you will understand the importance of documenting when you look back on these and realize how far you've come.

One of the things that I've noticed is that your works bear a similarity to airbrushed works where there is heavy use of hard edged masking. I can see this here in your video.
I'm not sure what tool you used, but it seems like you just made a selection and filled it with solid black.
Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 12.23.04 PM.png

There's no fur texture development in depth and you just went back and softened the solid black hard edges with a "fur" brush.
There's also only minor texture development in all of the fur.
Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 12.30.25 PM.png

In airbrushing, one of things that many new AB artists tend to do is to hide or cover difficult areas with darkness.
We see that in digital renderings as well, such as here:
Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 12.37.49 PM.png

And here:
Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 12.38.38 PM.png

As I stated in the beginning and Helios mentioned, we really don't know where your going with your work and these example may be the style you prefer, and there's nothing wrong with what your doing as long as the work your doing here meets the expectations that you've set for yourself.

In order to establish credibility with my advice, I have quickly thrown together a rendering of this same Tiger to show some of the differences between the style your doing and that of my own. I won't post it in your thread unless you give permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.