Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.69%
    Achievements SproutSomeone Likes Me

The Tiger

This was done with my new Intuos, and wow so much better than my bamboo and my fingers retained their finger prints at last. I did do a short Video to this just showing some of the process, if you wanna take a look.

Critiques welcomed

The Tiger-tiger-ps-jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpciicWMHto
    Last edited by Chipyluna; 09-09-2017 at 06:19 AM.
    To dare is to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.12%
    Achievements SuperstarPost MasterAdvocateQualified to Freelance
    Awards ScholarPhotoshop GuruChallenge WinnerChallenge Creator

Re: The Tiger

Very nice drawing!

I wish I could do something like that.

Ah well, you have or you don't...

Guru
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.76%
    Achievements World FamousScript WriterConversation StarterQualified to Freelance
    Awards Challenge CreatorChallenge Winner

Nice Work! in my opinion i would fix the blury edges on the mouth and nose and maybe the moustache hair, i think is too thick and with light problems, as personal opinion dont like the background .

Cheers!

4. Likes IamSam Points (Total) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%
    Achievements SuperstarPost VisionaryPress FanaticQualified to Freelance
    Awards Challenge Creator - Award nomination from Eggy accepted.Challenge WinnerScholar - Excellent help in the forums.
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-troubleshooting/54906-photoshop-wont-start-after-installing-new-ram.html#post1533716037Photoshop Guru

Very nice piece of work and that's my favourite animal

Guru
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.33%
    Achievements Script WriterConversation StarterFamousQualified to Freelance
    Awards Photoshop Guru - Award nomination from Eggy accepted.Challenge CreatorChallenge WinnerScholar

Quote Originally Posted by gedstar View Post
    Very nice piece of work and that's my favourite animal
    Would never have guessed.
    Currently Using - PS CC 2017 - AI CC 2017 - InDesign CC 2015 - Dreamweaver CC 2015
    Running Windows 10 64bit on AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.80 GHz - 8GB ram - 2GB Video card

7. Likes gedstar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.91%
    Achievements Love GuruAdvocateQualified to FreelancePost Guru
    Awards Challenge CreatorChallenge WinnerScholarPhotoshop Guru

Before I offer any critique, I would like to see the reference photo you used to create the drawing.

edit: Found the original reference. I made it smaller.

The Tiger-yawningtigersmall-jpg

Refresh your page to see replies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.34%
    Achievements LuminaryPost VisionaryQualified to FreelanceAdvocate
    Awards Challenge All StarChallenge WinnerPhotoshop GuruChallenge Creator

Very nice work! I envy you for your drawing skills.

Though agree with what Argos mentioned. Your image would look way better without the dark smudges around the mouth and nose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.27%
    Achievements Conversation StarterPopularSocialQualified to Freelance
    Awards Challenge Creator - Award nomination from Eggy accepted.Photoshop GuruChallenge Winner

This is looking nice, good job so far.

Some things to consider, moving forward: I agree with others that the large area of black around the mouth is not quite right. Looking at a few photos of tigers, this black area is partially fleshy as well as furry, and it's usually coated in the animal's saliva. Some more detail and deliniation between fur and flesh in this area, and highlights to show moisture, would really add a sense of realism.
    Secondly, where is the light coming from? There are highlights on the top of the tiger's head, but the background suggests the light is coming from below and to the right. It is ok to have both light sources, but the shading currently doesn't fit with this. It feels as if there would be a little more shadow under the chin for starters. Overall, really think about how the light would hit the tiger if it were a real object. Where would shadows be cast?

All that said, realism might not be a style you were going for, in which case it is a nice representation in a slightly graphic style. Some more details around the mouth would still help, whichever style you're looking to achieve here.

Keep it up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.91%
    Achievements Love GuruAdvocateQualified to FreelancePost Guru
    Awards Challenge CreatorChallenge WinnerScholarPhotoshop Guru

As of late, I'm a bit leery of offering critiques. I certainly don't want to discourage new potential artists. One of the things I always ask new artists is where are you going with your art? The best way to answer is to post examples of any artists work that you hope to emulate. The reason for this is to compare where you are today and to know how to help you to get to where you want to be.

I've been contemplating for a while now in how I would like to respond to the work you've posted in this thread and others. I can tell by your videos that your very confident in what your doing at the moment which is great. I think you will find that as your skills progress, you will understand the importance of documenting when you look back on these and realize how far you've come.

One of the things that I've noticed is that your works bear a similarity to airbrushed works where there is heavy use of hard edged masking. I can see this here in your video.
    I'm not sure what tool you used, but it seems like you just made a selection and filled it with solid black.
    The Tiger-screen-shot-2017-09-11-12-23-04-pm-png

There's no fur texture development in depth and you just went back and softened the solid black hard edges with a "fur" brush.
    There's also only minor texture development in all of the fur.
    The Tiger-screen-shot-2017-09-11-12-30-25-pm-png

In airbrushing, one of things that many new AB artists tend to do is to hide or cover difficult areas with darkness.
    We see that in digital renderings as well, such as here:
    The Tiger-screen-shot-2017-09-11-12-37-49-pm-png

And here:
    The Tiger-screen-shot-2017-09-11-12-38-38-pm-png

As I stated in the beginning and Helios mentioned, we really don't know where your going with your work and these example may be the style you prefer, and there's nothing wrong with what your doing as long as the work your doing here meets the expectations that you've set for yourself.

In order to establish credibility with my advice, I have quickly thrown together a rendering of this same Tiger to show some of the differences between the style your doing and that of my own. I won't post it in your thread unless you give permission.

Refresh your page to see replies!

12. Likes fredfish, Argos, gedstar liked this post