What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey guys.

I decided to do some digital paintings and I started with this study of a cat photo that I found on Pixabay

(Smaller version)
cats-a-normal-cat-pet-small.jpg

I only have about six hours in this painting and since it's just a study, I've left out some detail. While the painting follows the reference closely, I wanted the painting to look painted and not so photorealistic. I of course exercised some artistic license and made some changes, especially the eyes.

Please enjoy, comments and questions are always invited. Please click on the image of the painting to enlarge.

CatStudy_01.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 2.03.16 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks everyone!

Ged said:
......I do wish you would show off more of your work
Ged, the truth is that I do many digital paintings but I don't post them. It wasn't until recently that I decided that I would post a series of animal studies. So you will see more.

Lambert said:
In all my years on this forum this is the first work I've seen from you Sam!
Well.............you just haven't noticed! LOL!! But your right to some degree, I have not posted many paintings. There is a reason for that, but I wont get into that right now. As I said above, I will post more.

My next project is a dog.

Pipsmom

Guru
My next project is a dog.[/QUOTE]

Can't wait for the dog picture...need any pictures to go by I sure plenty of got those...my 2 Shih Tzu's :rofl:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Someone has asked me in a PM about why I call what seems to be a completed painting a "study". So I thought I would answer here.

For me the painting is a study because I have recently been learning more about directional texturing brushes and how I can apply them. So this was a learning experience for me in using those brushes and working out techniques that will hopefully save myself some time in completing the paintings. What I learned was that the brushes gave me the ability to quickly block out the underpainting with relative ease. I did find it difficult to control the brushes in certain circumstances when I was trying to match fur direction. Most of the finalized image was still painted with a single round brush one painstaking stroke at a time.

Also, for me, the painting still needs several more hours of work before I would ever put something like it up for sale or in the hands of a client. But I have OCD.

fredfish

Guru
I really love this Sam - I particularly like the catch light in the eyes, it brings a real sense of life to the study. I think it helps that I am a cat lover!

I also get the OCD issue - I have CDO - It is the same as OCD but even the letters have to be in the right order :cheesygrin:

I would love some guidance some time (once you have worked it out yourself of course ) about the directional textured brushes you are using.

Cheers

John

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I also get the OCD issue - I have CDO - It is the same as OCD but even the letters have to be in the right order :cheesygrin:
LOL! I also get DCO.................but that's my Lysdexia!

fredfish said:
I would love some guidance some time (once you have worked it out yourself of course ) about the directional textured brushes you are using.
Anytime your ready. I'm familiar enough with the brushes that I think I can answer most questions about them.

SMOk3

Power User
Excellent work Sam :hat-tip:to you..