What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Posts?

Stacy

I was just wondering if there a way to save a post or thread as a favourite? There is so much information on this forum I would love to refer back to some posts easily, like a notebook.

Hi Stacy - I could be wrong, but unfortunately, I don't think there is any way for users to designate "favorite" posts using the forum software.

However, almost all internet browsers allow one to designate any URL (including specific forum posts) as "bookmarks", "favorites", or put such URLs in a "reading list", or something similar. I rather like a Firefox add-on called, "Pocket" for this since it's very fast to add a new entry, I can search within my list, and I can access the list from any computer, not just the one on which I first read the post.

Also, don't forget that many browsers also allow one to organize your favorites into folders, so you could set up a favorites / bookmarks folder called, "Useful PSG posts", and simply drag the URL of each interesting post into that folder.

One more suggestion: If you want to remember a specific post within a thread, not just the URL of the entire thread, the number of each post within a thread is actually a URL that can be saved. It can be found at the extreme right hand edge of the blue bar that appears above each post.

Finally, as a fairly active participant in these discussions, I often need to refer a visitor to some old thread which I remember, but which was of no special interest to me at the time, so I didn't bother to bookmark it when it first appeared.

I find that I can usually find the exact thread I'm thinking of simply by Googling it. For example, I just responded to a question about blurry reds and loss of quality in JPGs. I remembered that I had answered a similar question a year or so ago, so I Googled {red quality JPG "Tom Mann" site:photoshopgurus.com}. The thread I was thinking of was the first or second entry in the results provided by Google. The key is to add the restriction to only search this site, and, if possible, add the user name of someone who you know participated in that thread (eg, possibly yourself). Developing good Google searching skills such as use of quotation marks, use of the "site:" restrictor, etc. is something that will benefit one in almost all aspects of internet life.

HTH,

Tom M

You've given some great suggestions there Tom, Thank You.
It's funny as I use Pocket all the time for saving whole online articles but it never struck me to use it for this. Ill be doing so from now on.
Thanks again.

Back