What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mouse stutter after closing PS session

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Well, I got rid of my good old CS6 and started with CC 2015 after upgrading my system.
The problem now is that my mouse is stuttering after closing a CC 2015 session.
I thought waiting a bit would resolve the problem but I always end up restarting my PC.
It doesn't take long to restart my system, about 30 sec but I did not have this problem with CS6.
I have a I7 4770K, NVidia GTX660 (2Vram) and 32 RAM Corsair XMS3 1600.
Purging before closing doesn't help.

Anybody an idea?

MrToM

Guru
When you say 'Purge' do you mean by the method of EDIT > Purge... ALL...?

If so, there is an alternative 'Purge' feature built in to CC 2015 which does a more useful job.....it releases the 'unused' memory that PS still has assigned to it although not actually using it.....its a '10 year long' problem that still haunts PS to this day.

[rant]
Adobe finally admitted there was a problem and so came up with this as a last minute 'work-round'...

Hold down the 'Alt' key and click the 'About Photoshop' option from the 'Help' menu.

This will release the memory assigned to photoshop back to your system.

Now.......before you get all excited about that just try and follow those instructions.....can it be done? Can you click the 'About Photoshop' option whilst holding down the 'Alt' key?

Nope!

As soon as you hit the 'Alt' key the menu closes.

Yet another example of the superior knowledge the writers of PS have.....genius! A solution you cannot execute!

When you pick yourself up off the floor and wipe the tears rolling down your cheeks from all the laughing there IS actually a way to do it.

Hold down the 'Alt' key and click the 'Help' menu but HOLD the left click down whilst you navigate to the 'About Photoshop' option...so its more of a 'Click and Drag' and then release the left mouse click WHEN the option is highlighted.

That should, according to Adobe, release the memory.

I've no idea if it does, or if that will solve your problem.....but its one more thing you can try.

It also gives me the chance to vent my spleen again over the stupidity of Adobe.

[/rant]

This 'Enhancement' is defined at the bottom of the 'Whats New' page for 2015:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html#2015_0

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Yes on the first question Tom.
I'll try the other options tomorrow so I can tick one of these:

Untitled-1.jpg

:cheesygrin:

MrToM

Guru
I hear ya loud and clear....5 by 5....:thumbsup:

Sorry if it doesn't work for you...I'll keep thinking on it.....but it is CC 2015 so no promises.

Good luck.

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
MrToM
Weird, I'll have to tick 'yes'.
That second solution seems to work.

What about the color of the line pen tool when drawing a path? Somebody has mentionned this problem to PS, I'm sure. What are they waiting for?

MrToM

Guru
...Weird, I'll have to tick 'yes'. That second solution seems to work...
You say that as if you didn't want it to.

...What about the color of the line pen tool when drawing a path?...
I don't know...whats the problem with it?

Getting back to your original problem I had a think and definitely remember having the same issue not so long ago....in a galaxy far far away...

I think, and I'm not 100% sure of this, that I had to uninstall the mouse, reboot, and let windows install the mouse again.

This doesn't 'update' the driver as such but does install it 'after' PS so its not been knackered by the PS installation.

I've not had the problem since but couldn't guarantee that's what I did....it does ring a distant bell though.

That's the trouble with fixing Adobe issues....there's just so many of them they all tend to roll into one!

Anyway, needless to say if you try that make sure you know your keyboard shortcuts to reboot your machine....the mouse will be disabled after uninstall. Best to do this with nothing running except background services....that way if you get stuck you can always hard reboot via holding the machines on / off button for 5 seconds, (if you don't have a 'reset' button), without it moaning too much about being shut down 'improperly'.

Again, no guarantees but another thing to try if it happens again.

Thanks for the update on your progress. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
You say that as if you didn't want it to.
I don't know...whats the problem with it?

Of course I want it to do it Tom, but the way it does is weird. I never heard of a key/mouse combination like that in any other program but on the other hand, PS isn't 'any other program'.

Actually it doesn't do more then 'edit/purge/all'.

Anyway, after posting this I'm going to uninstall my mouse and try your suggestion. I'll let you know the result later this week after doing a long PS session.

About the pen tool; I'm sure people in the PS community mentionned the fact not be able to change the path color for some years now.

On dark images it is a bit challenging for me.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

MrToM

Guru
but the way it does is weird. I never heard of a key/mouse combination like that in any other program but on the other hand, PS isn't 'any other program'
LOL...you can say that again!

Actually it doesn't do more then 'edit/purge/all'
Well....it should do more than just that which is why Adobe added it to the list....if it did little more than 'Purge' would they bother?

You can test it by opening a relatively large PSD file.
Then check the memory used by PS in the Task Manager and make a note of it.
Close the large document and open a smaller one...or start a new document....just something you 'know' is smaller.
Check the task manager again....there should be little difference in the memory used even though you are now editing a much smaller file...and you've closed the larger one.
The process of 'Alt + About PS' should....should, release that allocated memory back to the system....instead of PS hogging it when it doesn't need it.

That's the theory anyway but I've never got it to work. 'Purge' doesn't release memory, it just clears out references to files....like a TOC....which is why you get the warning...its permanent.

Anyway, after posting this I'm going to uninstall my mouse and try your suggestion. I'll let you know the result later this week after doing a long PS session
Good luck....sorry if it doesn't help...but it can't hurt either.

...About the pen tool; I'm sure people in the PS community mentioned the fact not be able to change the path color for some years now. On dark images it is a bit challenging for me...

Ah, right.
There was some mention of it somewhere yes.....they 'did' something with it to make it more visible but I've not heard of problems with it.

For me its no different to 2014...

2014_2015_Pen_Tool_MT_01.jpg

I'll look into it.

Also just had another thought on your mouse problem.....some people reported 'files' being randomly deleted from their system during the installation of 2015.

That was the first release though which I suspect isn't the one you have but still.....a re-install of your mouse drivers wont do any harm and something else to rule out.

Regards,
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I did the test checking the memory in the Task manager.

- Memory used with no program open : 3.20 GB
- Memory used with PS large PSD : 5.59 GB
- Closing large PSD and open small : 5.64 GB
- Alt+help+about PS : 4.30 GB
- Closing small file and Alt+help+about PS : 3.59 GB

I'm quite sure memory is not affecting the mouse.

I did remove the mouse driver and rebooted.

The mouse drivers were reïnstalled.

I tested by opening PS + CorelDraw X3 + PowerDirector.

After closing them, no issues with the mouse, for now.

What I mean about the pen tool is the option to choose a particular color depending on the picture you're working with.

Something like this:

color pen tool.jpg

I'll let you know if the problem with the mouse is resolved after working some time on a project.

Again, thanks for the assistence.

:thumbsup:

MrToM

Guru
...I did the test checking the memory in the Task manager.

- Memory used with no program open : 3.20 GB
WOW!

I thought mine was bad, (@1.2GB), but that's just ridiculous!

3.2GB without a file open!!!

I'm not convinced this is a 'fixable' issue though.....on my main machine PS 2015 runs @~1.2GB with no open documents.

A virtual machine with the same OS runs PS @~700MB...and that's WITH an open document!

PS is just a complete mess when it comes to memory management.....or lack of it.

...What I mean about the pen tool is the option to choose a particular color depending on the picture you're working with...
Ah...right....gotcha!

When creating paths manually I usually place a completely black layer above my work and set the opacity so that I can just see the underlying image.

This gives the tool a more 'even' layer on which to calculate what colour the lines should be.....on a black BG they are almost certainly going to be white, giving a really good contrast to work with.

Once I'm done I just delete the 'black' layer.

Just out of curiosity, from what I can gather the reason why coloured paths isn't an option is:

"...we cannot go back to the way it was in CS3 because the blend modes we used are not available in OpenGL, or in the Cocoa API for MacOS..."

Here is a comparison between CS3 and 2015...

CS3_2015_Pentool_MT_01.jpg

The broader 'test' line is 50% grey in 'Hard Mix' blend mode....you can see its close to an 'inverse' CS3 line....yellow for blue, red for cyan..etc.

The blend mode now used in 2015 evidently isn't as good as can be seen in the image with the 2015 line.

CS3 didn't use OpenGL but whatever it did use certainly gave a better contrast for the pen tool lines.

Maybe one day...

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
WOW!
I thought mine was bad, (@1.2GB), but that's just ridiculous!
3.2GB without a file open!!!
I'm not convinced this is a 'fixable' issue though.....on my main machine PS 2015 runs @~1.2GB with no open documents.
A virtual machine with the same OS runs PS @~700MB...and that's WITH an open document!
PS is just a complete mess when it comes to memory management.....or lack of it.

Yes 3.2 GB with about 80 processes running is ridiculous.

I'll have to check this. This is an absolute waste of memory.

And thanks for the information on the pen tool color.