What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Photoshop Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye

Guru
It's become obvious that this site is composed primarily of people who see no value in their own time and skills and therfore is has devolved into the "come to place" for all things free. If you don't value your own skills, certainly no one else ever will.
I believe my time here has come to an end, this is getting ridiculous.

Attachments

• MaxthonSnap20161106111228.png
    MaxthonSnap20161106111228.png
    314.3 KB · Views: 10

littletank

I joined this site with a specific question related to a potential technique. Not only was the question answered and the answer illustrated but an interesting discussion with examples has arisen. Perhaps if there were more discussions related to technique the 'Gurus' could do more than exhibit their skills on freebie PP.

For example, Photoshop CC 2017 is available perhaps the 'Gurus' could tell us what's new and how we might take advantage of this new version.

Jerry D

Power User
hawkeye

I’m sorry you’ve decided to end your time here but you gotta do what you gotta do. For me, it’s a loss of a talented person from whom I may have learned something, even if only from posted works.

Personally, and from strictly my own perspective, I think this site serves a very useful purpose. I only play at Ps, as a hobby. I have no intentions of ever trying to make any money from it, and have no illusions as to the level of my skill. But I would like to learn more and people on this site have helped me do that. Most members that I have seen are willing to explain and demonstrate techniques, if they are asked, but their time restraints must be taken into account.

As for freebies, I see them as a chance to practice what I have learned and get feedback. If no one sees what I’m doing how could I know if I am improving or doing anything worthwhile? I hope to do something acceptable for the OP but, if not, they may continue to ask for better attempts or go to the freelance section.

I understand your expectations are different and if this isn’t what you need you must move on.

Hoogle

Guru
I do totally agree with what you say JerryD doing work upon request is a great way to improve your skills, It is very easy for anyone to sit their and create some kind of design for personal use, but doing a design to order for someone else is where most the learning skills come in.

But I have noticed you Jerry D you do try and I believe you to would like this site to succeed.

Tom Mann

Guru
It's become obvious that this site is composed primarily of people who see no value in their own time and skills and therfore is has devolved into the "come to place" for all things free. If you don't value your own skills, certainly no one else ever will.

Hi Hawkeye -

You may not be aware of this, but, like you, all the free (and absurdly low price) photoshop work being done on either here and elsewhere on the Internet has profoundly bothered me for years. My feeling was that:

(a) Such work undercuts people who are trying hard to make a living from their Photoshopping skills. The analogous trend is also occurring in photography: More and more technically good photos can now be made by non-pros, and many people who just bought a $300 low-end DSLR then think they have automatically become a talented photographer. As I have worked as a photographer for decades, I know that this simply is not, and can not be true.

(b) I don't want to reinforce any expectation among the public that while one obviously has to pay car mechanics, plumbers, and other skilled individuals to do work for you, payment just isn't necessary for Photoshop work.

However, after much soul-searching, I have come to realize that:

(c) Free PS work is inevitable. It's little more than a continuation of the historic trend in work-related complaints like, "factory workers are taking work away from skilled artisans", "machines are taking work away from skilled factory workers", "computers are taking work away from skilled machinists", etc., etc.; and,

(d) Requests for free PS work do serve a purpose in our community. As pointed out previously, such requests serve as a quasi-realistic training and testing ground for people just entering this field. There's nothing like the feeling one gets when you know there is a real need for a product, even if there is no payment. Such requests also serve as a mode of artistic expression for people who have no intention of becoming a working pro in this field.

In addition, I have come to realize that there is little economic threat to working pros from the visitors who come to PSG or other Internet venues looking for free personal PS work. This is because such visitors would never pay anyone to do such work, so no income for the pros is lost from this type of "competition".

I also realize that if we don't allow our folks here on PSG to respond to such requests, the alleged free-loaders will simply go elsewhere and find someone who will volunteer to work for them for free. Maybe the quality of the result will be acceptable, maybe not. If not, the visitor will eventually learn that they generally have to pay for artistic quality / workmanship, professional business practices, a high probability of success on the first attempt, timely response, a continuing relationship, etc.

Such education by experience is a critical part of the process of determining the true and current value of a service. No matter how much I would like it to be different, this economic equilibration process that is following the democratization off Photoshop simply can't be avoided or bypassed.

That being said, while I can accept (and ignore, LOL) the kids who come here to have themselves photoshopped into a picture with their favorite actress, the business people who come to PSG looking for free PS work for their money-making businesses definitely do rub me the wrong way and I would dearly like to educate them.

So, IMO, free and ultra-low price photoshop work has become a fact of life here in PSG and everwhere else. I know you don't like them (...neither do I...), but my suggestion is to simply do what everyone else does who don't like them: just ignore these requests and let other people make their own decision as to whether to volunteer their time or not.

Just my $0.02,

Tom

PS - To foster a good discussion of the important topic of free edits, I don't want to see this thread derailed by the introduction of other, at best, tangentially related topics or suggested solutions to other perceived problems. Let's try to stick to just this one issue.

Last edited:

In recent months, I had the same feelings as you.
Therefore I can understand your decision to leave PS gurus.

Regards
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.