What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Base for Better Borders Beyond Blurring

Stroker

Power User
Man, getting some cross-over ideas from several threads around here. Before getting into some things, I want to get this one out first.

Awhile ago, there was a thread about making borders. I dropped a quick mini-tut that went something like this:
1. White square in an Alpha channel.
2. Gaussian Blur it.
3. Run a filter on it.
4. Apply as a Layer Mask.

Quick, dirty, and works... sometimes. There is a problem. There are a lot of filters that just don't work well with a blur.

So, let's figure out a way to toss in some randomness so those filters will work much better. At the same time, kind of fade out the randomness at the edges while leaving the inside just fine. Know what I'm saying?

Let's start with two Alpha channels:
1. Blurred: a square that has been Gaussian Blurred.
2. Clouds: a bunch of Clouds/Difference Clouds to taste.

border1.jpg

The trick is combining them to get what we are looking for. That can be done with Image > Apply Image. Copy Blurred and activate it. Then hit Apply Image:

border2.gif

Should end up with something like this:

border3.jpg

There we go. Now we have a much better base for running filters. It's random, yet fades out.

Now it's just a matter of running other filters to jazz it up, other tweaks, and applying it as a Layer Mask. I'll leave that to you.

Thanks go to Kai for ChOps.

wbiss

Guru
:D Awesome Stroker! I appreciate the write up! :perfect:

Stroker

Power User
Here's a real quick fiddle.

Instead of using a square and blurring it, I painted a bunch of white and smudged it all over the place.

Then I went through the motions with Clouds/Difference Clouds and Apply Image.

Used Dry Brush on the resulting Alpha, and Dry Brush on the subject.

Tossed in some Texturizer > Canvas just for giggles.

wbiss

Guru
:perfect: Really great effect Stroker!... must find time to play!!! 3[ :D

angel

It's time to customize the code for the Trails application. If you want to code along with me, you need to installfamily crests Ruby, Rails, and Streamlined (see Resources) and build the application in Part 1. You'll add onto that foundation to customize the Trails application.

If you haven't already done so, start your Web server by typing script/server (ruby script/server on Windows) from your project directory. Bring up the view for Trails by pointing your browser to the URL http://localhost:3000/Trails/list. LG HDTVFigure 1 shows the base Streamlined view. If you've added any data, you'll notice that unlike Rails scaffolding, Streamlined manages relationships for you. You'll also notice that the relationships depend on the id field.

KRF

Power User
c't I see anyof the images in this and more of the thread's on this board