What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can someone help me do this look

Well Melinda, a quality camera and properly set lighting always helps with quality photos. I mean, if you use a webcam or something, you can't expect photoshop to spruce it up into a picture worthy of printing and framing.

Yeah a decent camera would be the start.

When it comes to pictures, PS can't give it a makeover and still have good quality.

you can't expect photoshop to spruce it up.

I'm the only one doing the sprucing round here thank you very much!

Apart from all the other stuff, A slight blur on anything that isn't a focal point on the image, like around the babies head in the photo you used. Play with the brightness, saturation and vibrancy. I also like using camera colour screens to give a feeling of warmth or coldness. These are just a few of the things that will help give a pro like finish to normal photos.

"When it comes to pictures, PS can't give it a makeover and still have good quality." what are you saying?

first of all a decent camera, and I don't mean a point-and-shoot with a built in lens. I'm talking about quality cameras. such as SLR's and DSLR's. My current favorite camera is a Cannon SLR known as the RT. Personally I think that knowing good photography will augment your photoshop skills greatly, so now that you've asked, I'm going to most likely write an extensive tutorial on basic photography. too bad i don't have a DSLR to provide the proper pictures you'll probably want. Anyways, when It's done, I'll come back here and post a link.

I'm the only one doing the sprucing round here thank you very much!

Apart from all the other stuff, A slight blur on anything that isn't a focal point on the image, like around the babies head in the photo you used. Play with the brightness, saturation and vibrancy. I also like using camera colour screens to give a feeling of warmth or coldness. These are just a few of the things that will help give a pro like finish to normal photos.

Great post m8, and lulz @ you sprucing things!

first of all a decent camera, and I don't mean a point-and-shoot with a built in lens. I'm talking about quality cameras. such as SLR's and DSLR's. My current favorite camera is a Cannon SLR known as the RT. Personally I think that knowing good photography will augment your photoshop skills greatly, so now that you've asked, I'm going to most likely write an extensive tutorial on basic photography. too bad i don't have a DSLR to provide the proper pictures you'll probably want. Anyways, when It's done, I'll come back here and post a link.

Good point Stanley, i seen your Tutorial, great piece of work buddy..

thanks. part 2 will probably be up later today, depending on how much homework i have today. photography is quite an extensive topic :)

Ok, I get that using a quality camera is a good starting point...numerous people have answered that part.
So I'll answer the rest of it generally...

1) Eyes are the window of the soul. They need to be clear and bright...I've even used a solid color fill adjustment layer of purer color and then set the layer opacity lower to accent them.

2) Set a white, Black and mid point using levels to get best tonal quality as your first move.

3) Remove color casts from each part of image individually to keep the most control (face, sleeper, bedding, etc)

4) USM (unsharp masking) can bring back minor areas that aren't detailed enough and even using a High Pass filter faded back and set to soft light will bring out the details.

5) Color correct the skin (too much to list here!)

There's is quite a bit that is involved...more than just a nice camera.

: )

i don't think you understand scott... a low ISO and good lighting will give you all that you just said without having to load the photo into photoshop.

RHstanley3...I do understand! : ) But I think they were asking how it could be achieved using Photoshop originally.

I completely agree with getting a good photo is the best way to get closest to this look. But I have yet to see an image that needs absolutely no retouching. I work with a lot of very good photogs and we still need to "refine" their images, usually things the photog has no control over (such as skin tones, blotches, etc). But we also enhance their images at their request (eye color, blur/sharpen of items, etc) quite often.

So...I revise my prior statement to include the need for a good starting photo.

RHstanley3...I do understand! : ) But I think they were asking how it could be achieved using Photoshop originally.

I completely agree with getting a good photo is the best way to get closest to this look. But I have yet to see an image that needs absolutely no retouching. I work with a lot of very good photogs and we still need to "refine" their images, usually things the photog has no control over (such as skin tones, blotches, etc). But we also enhance their images at their request (eye color, blur/sharpen of items, etc) quite often.

So...I revise my prior statement to include the need for a good starting photo.

i see... i didn't understand that you DID understand and were looking at it from a different standpoint :) skin tones can be done correctly by using surrounding colors to make a persons skin color look really nice (this is imo), but with the skin blotches etc. i think you are right on the dot about. I'm getting this thread and the thread of the cups of coffee mixed together... to revise MY statement, a proper photo with non-organic objects such as cars, etc (if taken correctly) or animals (once again, if taken correctly) shouldn't need any retouching whatsoever, but photos of humans will probably require retouching unless you happen to be very lucky. Sharper color can be achieved with ISO 100, but ISO 100 can't exactly be used on humans, can it :)

Years of practice comes to mind. A good camera is your best bet though. Doesn't it seem odd that the original poster hasn't responded to any of the suggestions. Hmmmmm.

Years of practice comes to mind. A good camera is your best bet though. Doesn't it seem odd that the original poster hasn't responded to any of the suggestions. Hmmmmm.
It can be frustrating not hearing back.
Lot's of folks need an answer or a fix and you never hear back from them again.

We try to help everybody but it's the serious PS amateurs, enthusiasts, and professionals that come back and contribute.

well said steve. i hate asking a question and then not returning any feedback when a helping hand is given

Back