What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS5 Tutorial: New Refine Edge Command for Masks

Yutosi

Power User
In this video Photoshop tutorial, Deke McClelland shows how to use the Refine Edge command which is new in Photoshop CS5 to extract a person from the background including fine hair.

Refining selections and mask edges are essential Photoshop techniques you have to master both in order to perform tricky compositing tasks, such as extracting a person from an image and then adding a different background.

In Photoshop CS5, the Refine Edge command makes the process less tedious. In today's installment of Photoshop CS5 Top 5, watch as Deke uses Refine Edge and its cousin, Refine Mask, to create a finely crafted mask that encompasses every strand of a model's hair.

jangell2

I was wondering if there was a tutorial on making a selection or mask for a difficult image, like a pic of a dog or cat with frills of furr and whiskers. One in which the difference between the background and forground is not so pronounced as this example. Something more "real word."

Bucket

I find this tutorial far too complicated,can somebody come up with an easier tutorial than this. Example- using a filled in circle with fine hair round it. Make the background Blue. Then by number`s Example- 1. move curser round edge. 2. Set area to 70 pixel`s and so on,and to me that would be easier. I had a tutorial off Jennifer Apple just like this. With all due respect to Deke McClelland he prattle`s on giving you different option`s,and this command thing A on a Mac and B on a PC. I have never used these commands at all.
Bucket

nicksimard

Wow! Really amazing tutorial as it is really beneficial for users specially for the new once. Now in my personal experience, these tutorials are really amazing as relates to guiding and learning aspect. However in advance techniques, experience and logistic tutorials are required. Well these are really beneficial to start a proper career as the tutorials can guide properly.

besmirched

Power User
If it's not too much trouble could someone please explain what is going on when painting a mask in overlay?

Janifar

Banned
Is there need to change Hair color ??? Actually in masking what should i do ???

Attachments

• 945162_158720457633354_1245695549_n.jpg
    945162_158720457633354_1245695549_n.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 41

Janifar

Banned
That's really much informative and helpful command for Photoshop masking. Useful command for all beginners really fabulous tutorial.

Peaches Of The Night

Thank You!! I am slowly learning about masks & this Tut helped me lots!!!!!