What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Pen Tool Video Tutorial from tutcast

Yutosi

Power User
Photoshop Pen Tool - In Depth from tutcast

The Pen Tool is probably the hardest Photoshop tool to master, but it's very powerful and you can create some amazing images and effects with it.

this in depth video tutorial will show you many cool tips and tricks for usign the Pen tool with maximum efficiency.

iDad

Guru
Excellent tutorial The Pen tool, as he said is one of the toughest tools to grasp........ good post Yutosi!

hawkeye

Guru
Good tutorial, but there are shortcuts which will save some time. Just keep the path tool selected then:

Hold the ctrl key to temporarily access the direct selection tool. When you release ctrl it goes back the path tool. This is good for adjusting the path on the fly. By holding the ctrl key and dragging you can select multiple points, or all the points (the same as using the path selection tool). Alt + shift to click select multiple points.

To delete sections of a path, select the points (alt+shift click) then hit delete.

No need to right click to add or subtract points. While using the path tool, when you hover over a path area without a point it will show a plus sign, just click to add a point. Hovering over an existing point it will show a minus sign, click to remove the anchor point.

Still with just the path tool selected, hold ctr+alt, when you hover on the path it will change to a white arrow with a plus sign, click and drag to duplicate the path.

Steve, i was like you buddy, i came to grips with the pen tool last month, it's my goto tool for many projects now..

Steve

Retired Administrator
Yeah I agree. It's the one tool I avoided because it wasn't intuitive at least to me.
Very powerful and not all that difficult with a little practice.

Wetstuff

Nice, clear instruction. I never got how to bend a curve from a book... (my problem..) Yet, the example seemed like showing me how to TIG weld wood?! Would there have been a reason to shape-copy that half an orange? It's perhaps my thickness, but I could not see an end use in the example.

Tell ya, rather than the car and Mac rumor forums - this is a helluva better way to burn the clock at lunch. Thanks for these videos.

Jim

Steve

Retired Administrator
It's perhaps my thickness, but I could not see an end use in the example.
Thanks for these videos.

Jim

The purpose is to show how to make smooth a accurate selections of curved and complex shapes.
It could be to delete something or manipulate it independent from everything else in the image, etc.

Janifar

Banned
It's plenty useful video you shared here, last day i saw how to make square orange. Today i see this for pen tool. Massive helpful one!