What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Take a Screenshot (Capture Image of Your Screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
This is helpful when making a tutorial because you can capture an image of menu's, selections, or anything else that appears on your screen.

How to take a Screenshot in Windows:
If you are using Microsoft Windows, pressing the Print Screen button on your keyboard (usually labeled Prnt Scr) captures a screenshot of the entire visible desktop and places it in the clipboard.

How-to-print-screen.jpg

If you press Alt+Print Screen it will capture only the active window instead of the entire screen.

In most versions of Windows, screenshots do not include the mouse pointer. If you need the mouse pointer included, you can either add it in Photoshop, or use a third party screen capture program that includes the cursor.

After the screenshot has been captured in Windows, it must be pasted from the clipboard into a separate program, such as Adobe Photoshop, in order to be viewed or saved. Simply open Photoshop and choose File --> New (Ctrl+N) and the document dimensions should be set automatically by Photoshop based on the size of the screenshot in your clipboard. Click ok or press Enter then press Ctrl+V to paste the image into the new document.

How to take a Screenshot in Mac OSX:
If you are using Mac OS X, pressing Command+Shift+3 takes a screenshot of the entire screen, and Command+Shift+4 takes a screenshot of a chosen area of the screen.

If you press Space afterwards you can choose a window or graphic element on the screen to individually screenshot.

These images are saved to the desktop, but if you hold down the control key with the rest of the keyboard shortcut, the pictures are copied to the clipboard instead. These shortcuts also work in Mac OS Classic, and can be customized using the Keyboard and Mouse preference pane in the System Preferences.

Hoogle

Guru
can I just add on pc it is shift + prt screen for windows 7 users you can also use the built in snippet tool
start>all programs>accessories> snipping tool just above sound recorder with this built in app all you do is click and drag a box over the area you want to capture including whole screen if you so wish to do .

MikeMc

McGuru
If you press Alt+Print Screen it will capture only the active window instead of the entire screen.

Raj_Gawdi

Banned
Thanks, But can you help me with LINUX. Because now I am using this, how to take screenshot in this?

NullSpace

can I just add on pc it is shift + prt screen for windows 7 users you can also use the built in snippet tool
start>all programs>accessories> snipping tool just above sound recorder with this built in app all you do is click and drag a box over the area you want to capture including whole screen if you so wish to do .
I've used to use snipping tool, but third party screenshoters are more comfortable to use. Myself I use Lightshot, by pressing printscreen i can capture the area I need, make some marks and then copy it to clipboard save it on hard drive or lightshot's server.

SMOk3

Power User
I used to use Snagit, but changed to Tiny Take. It's free and is really simple to use and have never looked back.

inkpad.t

Guru
Not sure about other windows , but windows 10 has a built in tool called snipping tool, just go to the search bar and type in snipping and then drag the icon to your task bar, you can capture whatever your looking at on your screen, and save it wherever you want to on your pc, very helpful tool, and its free and built inside windows 10.

revnart

Power User
I'm not on windows (Windows 10) right now, but if I remember correctly if you press Win+Shift+S you will be able to take screen of full screen, selected part or even active window or Photoshop panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.