What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to smooth edges

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
How to smooth edges of objects and shapes in Photoshop

I created this little tutorial for new Photoshop users, who want to know how to smooth the edges of a shape.

I'm going to focus in this technique on the use of Layer Masks.

It's important to know first that every selection has an anti-alias option that can be found on the tool bar once a selection tool is selected. In most cases you will keep this option checked. This same option is also available for the Paint Bucket Tool

Now look at my attachment; We are going to make the first shape (1) as smooth as the second one (2).

In my example I have the shape on a transparent Layer 1 that has rough edges.

• Create a layer mask

I select the object by holding CTRL (CMD on the Mac) and clicking on this layer with the left mouse button. (all non-transparent pixels will be selected, in this case our circle).

Now that we have this shape selected, we click on the Add Layer Mask button, indicated by a red circle in example no. 3.

We now have created a mask in the shape of our circle. Also notice in example 4, the double lines around the layer mask; these indicate that this layer has been selected. If this layer is not selected, just use the left mouse button to click on it.
  • Gaussian blur the layer mask

Now we are going to slightly blur this layer (5).
    First we make sure that nothing is selected, so we go to Select / Deselect (CTRL+D or CMD+D on the Mac). This step is not needed in some cases.
    Now we are going to make the mask visible, by holding the ALT key (Option key on the Mac) and clicking on the mask with the left mouse button (This whole step is optional, but it will make it easier for you to see what you?re doing).

Go to Filter / Blur / Gaussian Blur?
    Now move the slider all the way to the left and then slowly start moving it in the opposite direction, until you can see the rough edges disappear in the blur.
    Don?t apply too much, or the final object will be much smaller than the one you had. Make sure that all edges are invisible and that you have a smooth blur.
  • Use a levels adjustment to sharpen the mask

And now we're going to do some magic. With the layer mask still selected(!), we're going to Image / Adjustments / Levels?.

When you open this image you will notice little 3 triangles. These triangles can be moved inwards with the mouse button.

Notice the position of the center triangle. Now we move the left triangle to this central position (don?t you worry if the other triangle moves too). Now we move the right triangle until towards the other triangles until you have something like in screenshot #6.

You will notice in the preview window how suddenly the blur disappears and a sharp edge appears?magic! Use too much and the rough edges will show up again, use too less and your edge will be blurry. Just play a bit with all three sliders until you like what you see, but always make sure that all 3 triangles are closer to the right than the left side of the levels screen.

It also might help to switch the preview window off/on to see what you?re doing.

If you're done you can click Ok and click on your object layer and you will notice the same smoothness that the mask had. You have now 2 choices; leave it like this or get rid of the mask. If you want to get rid of the mask, you need to merge this layer with a new layer.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

G-man ;)[/list:u]

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Here?s another example in which I?ve used Gaussian Blur to smooth the corners in a very extreme way.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
I?ve added a small attachment containing a rough shape to experiment with. The PSD contains 3 layers.

Layer 1 is hidden and contains the same object from layer 2 but with the smooth edges technique applied.

I used the following values
  • Gaussian Blur: 3
  • Levels: 127-1.00-170 (experiment)[/list:u]

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
If you?re done, you can switch between a rough and smooth edged circle, by Shift+left clicking on the layer mask; a red cross will appear. Click again and the cross will disappear again. Make sure that you select the layer containing the circle first.

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Good refresher info Gauss. :perfect:

I also would like to add another method i use sometimes to solve this same problem. It's usually the level of jaggies for me that dictates which solution i use. But just to know that there are actually more than a few to use is of great benefit.

My solution is born of experimentation, and one that most folks may not really even consider, or think of. Mainly because there are other ways to solve the jaggies.

Take a look at the images below...

Circle #1 is the original 'jaggy' circle -- drawn with the Elipse tool and no anti-aliasing.

Circle #2 is drawn with the Elipse tool, but anti-aliasing was turned on -- this is a normal PS circle.

Circle #3 is my 'repaired' circle. As you can see, i smoothed the edges quite well using the UNSHARP MASK filter, with a setting of 500% and 30 for the Radius (which is 10x the blur amount). Prior to sharpening i Gaussian Blurred the jaggy circle by 3 pixels.

And actually... if you look real close at the very top, bottom, left side, and right side of MY smooth circle (#3)... you'll notice that it's actually smoother then the normal anti-aliased circle created by PS, using just the Elipse tool (#2). The circle the Elipse tool created has a slightly 'flat' edged effect at the extreme top/bottom/& sides of it.

Go figure! :D

Keep in mind though that this method may not be suitable/practical for every 'jaggies' situation. It should be used most often i think on simple images and shapes.

wbiss

Guru
Most interesting Mark! :perfect: I would have never, in a million years, thought of that... :\

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Oh Mark, thanks a lot for sharing that with us :perfect:

A great addition too the different techniques I like to use ;)

sPECtre

Guru
Hey, Stroker/Jay/WJ ;) When will the infamous KPtips be finally hosted at the Gurusnetwork?

S

Stroker1

As far as I know they've been done. But I don't think they will be unveiled until the tutorial section is renovated. I can't say for sure because it's been some time since I've been active over there.

AppleCider

Power User
Very nice, Gauss & Mark! Especially for us old timers who still use channels [honesty]

Your methods open up new doors.

G

I made this thread a sticky one, since the same question about how to smooth edges keeps coming back ;)

wbiss

Guru
Great idea Gauss! ;)

histOrbispsar

Bad help PepCrirlprern

hel;o! I can't understand! where i can find an informttion about computers. What can you advise to me? if you knows something about this, tell me. My cat GerhOvance Thanks!