What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tutorial for soft contrast and foggy sky

uhlsport

[h=2][/h]
Hi there.
I'm a photographer based in Brussels.
I'm looking for a good way to edit a work I made in South America in 2010.
And I can't find a good tutorial to explain me how to render this kind of contrast and color in my pictures (cf. images below)
what i'd like to get is this kind of foggy sky and this "soft contrast and sharpness" with a really precise wb

I've try to work with LAB and calculation on photoshop but the result is not exactly what i expected.

For information my own work was made with a Linhof Technika III coupled with a Canon 5d.

If you could give me an explanation or if you know an online tutorial that could help me it 'd be really nice.

Merci d'avance for your help.

Attachments

• tumblr_m2qqea9TrG1qztvzq.jpg
    tumblr_m2qqea9TrG1qztvzq.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 28
  • tumblr_lwggvngtpG1qztvzq.jpg
    tumblr_lwggvngtpG1qztvzq.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 29
  • tumblr_lygo4wR7RP1qztvzq.jpg
    tumblr_lygo4wR7RP1qztvzq.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 29
  • http-_www.showmepictures.co.uk_post_21645808060_simon-roberts.jpg
    http-_www.showmepictures.co.uk_post_21645808060_simon-roberts.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 29
In regards to the last picture, can I just point out that this is how the sky looks here in Blackpool, unless it is raining. As for the rest of them, I believe that the photographers have waited till the correct time of day, when the sun is in the right place, and as a result, created these images. I would say for the light levels there, I would guess at about 4pm during the summer. The only thing that Photoshop has possibly done here is a bit of tweaking to the brightness, vibrancy and contrast. Hope this helps, though I doubt it was the answer you were hoping for.

Last edited:

ibis

Power User
In regards to the last picture, can I just point out that this is how the sky looks here in Blackpool, unless it is raining. As for the rest of them, I believe that the photographers have waited till the correct time of day, when the sun is in the right place, and as a result, created these images. I would say for the light levels there, I would guess at about 4pm during the summer. The only thing that Photoshop has possibly done here is a bit of tweaking to the brightness, vibrancy and contrast. Hope this helps, though I doubt it was the answer you were hoping for.
couldn't agree more.
there's also "the dark side" available, when you may take the perfectly looking sky and edit it into your dull looking sky.
then there's only a photographer's ethics that you may have problems with 8-(