What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I create this effect?

kbrackley

I am seeing a lot of photos like this and I'd like to know if anyone can give me suggestions/tutorials on how to make photos like these:
tumblr_ly1ew9TS8a1qca571o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_m7s8ygFlbA1qjbdcko1_1280.png

thanks!

or maybe this?

SoftBlur_orig.jpg SoftBlur.jpg

There may well be a plug in being used here which someone can identify. If not, then it may be any number of things. There is nearly always more than one way to do anything in Photoshop. The idea is to play with the tools, experiment, try someone's ideas, then try your own. Anyway, if there's any part of this that looks like what you're after, let me know and I'll tell you what I did.

(but not tonight' it's bedtme in these here parts)
:mrgreen:

Either one in particular? I used more or less the same process for each (didn't save the psd on the room but like I said, the methods are similar). I'll use the girl since I can refer back to my psd.

• Copy the base layer (I always do this so I have an unadulterated original) and turn off that base layer
  • Make a layer adjustment to the working layer. Do a hue/saturation adjustment and basically desaturate but leave a level of color. This may take some experimentation which is one reason for using the layer adjustment rather than image>adjustment.
  • Another reason is you have a mask which can be used if you want to bring back some of the color to accentuate it, like the colors in the blanket.
  • Now apply a gaussian blur. If you aren't sure about how much, you can make this a smart object and edit the blur anytime. You'll also have a mask to selectively replace some of the sharpness if you want to.
  • The next thing I did was make another copy of the original layer, move it to the top, set the blending mode to soft light and bring the opacity down around 40%.
  • I copied this layer twice and moved one slightly left and one slightly right. I didn't like this effect though. I did like it on the other image, the room. It doesn't seem like it should but i think it attenuates the elements in the room; makes them look thinner and more ghostly.
  • Finally I made another copy of the original layer and used the solarize filter (filter>stylize>solarize). In this case, I set it to overlay and left it at 100%. I would like to add a layer mask to this and soften up the edges around the girl and minimize or remove the brown tint to the shadows. I did something similar on the room image, but I may have left it at normal. I know I decreased the opacity.

So this is the method I played with. I stress the word play. If you try this, follow my steps first (if I made them understandable), then experiment. Let me know if you need clarification. I'm behind time again; my apologies. But I can make a tutorial with pictures if you need it.

Nothing wrong with playing with it mate:mrgreen:

Back