What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick-and-Dirty Selections

rufinatti

Power User
Pulled from another thread because I thought others might get benefit from this.

Photoshop_Screen_Snapz009.png

In reference to the above image, MikeMc said:

Beautiful masking job Rufi !...Pen tool on a channel ? I couldn't get it that tight!

Thanks, Mike.

The pen tool would be the most precise option. However, in this instance, I didn't feel like taking the time to trace around each individual finger so I used a quick-and-dirty cheat.

(1) Make a rough selection using the quick select tool.

Photoshop_Screen_Snapz001.png

(2) Apply that rough selection to a layer mask.

Photoshop_Screen_Snapz002.png

Just to see things better in this demonstration, I added a green background. As you can see below, the initial selection is pretty ugly.

Photoshop_Screen_Snapz003.png

Here's a look at the layer mask at this point.

Photoshop_Screen_Snapz004.png

(3) Apply a gausian blur to the layer mask.

Photoshop_Screen_Snapz005.png

This results in feathering the edges of the selection; but it's still not very pretty.

Photoshop_Screen_Snapz006.png

(4) Clean up / tighten the edges by adjusting the levels on the layer mask.

Photoshop_Screen_Snapz007.png

The quick-and-dirty selection around the fingers is now very much improved.

Photoshop_Screen_Snapz008.png

At this point, I would use a small sized, soft brush to paint over some areas of the mask that needed additional clean-up (such as the corner where the fingers overlap).

Photoshop_Screen_Snapz009.png

Hope this helps.

HomePhotoshoppingNetwork

Your selection looks very good but I did have a question. Why not use Quick Selection Tool and then Refine Edge? You have a ton of control with Refine Edge.

rufinatti

Power User
Your selection looks very good but I did have a question. Why not use Quick Selection Tool and then Refine Edge? You have a ton of control with Refine Edge.

Thanks.

This is a technique that I learned while using PS Elements. I've just started using the 30 day trial of photoshop and haven't played with refine edge yet. Simple as that.

Last edited:

egosbar

Guru
refine edge is a must learn tool , make your selection again using quick selection

under select heading click on refine edge , smooth pixels , look at the different views and play with smooth and feather , you will get the same result much quicker , lot of other areas for refine edge especially with wispy hair or fur

Inkz

Guru
Very nice tut Ruf...

A great technique to get a very precise cut.