What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make skin smoothing in Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

niceday999

Give your portraits the silky skin effect with Photoshop's High Pass filter by following our quick step-by-step guide.
Of course, most of us don't have the time or patience for such work, but luckily there are things we can do to cut corners. One of the best loved - not to mention fastest - skin smoothing techniques is the High Pass method. It gives your subject silky-smooth skin while still retaining some of the detail and texture. Therefore you don't end up with the dreaded 'plastic look' some methods can give. Instead, you get beautifully realistic smoothness.

Here's the quick method below, but if you want greater control over the strength of the smoothing effect, you could try applying a touch of Gaussian Blur (Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur) between Steps 02 and 03.

As the image is inverted at this stage, the greater the blur radius value, the more subtle the effect. When painting the mask in Step 03, you don't need to be too precise. A few quick strokes with a large, soft-edged brush should do the trick.

01. Copy the layer

Open 'highpassstart.jpg'. Press Cmd/Ctrl+J to copy the layer. Note: if you’re working with lots of layers, highlight the top layer and press Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E to merge a copy. Rename the layer 'High Pass', then click the Blend Mode drop-down and choose Overlay.

smoothingstep1.jpg

02. Overlay and High Pass

Go to Filter>Other>High Pass. Set Radius to 9px and hit OK. This applies sharpening, but when inverted, it turns into a softening effect, so go to Image>Adjustments>Invert (or press Cmd/Ctrl+I) to invert the colours on the 'High Pass' layer.

smoothingstep02.jpg

03. Smooth the skin

Hold Alt and click the Add Layer Mask icon at the bottom of the Layers Panel to add a full Layer Mask that completely hides the softening. Now grab the Brush tool, choose a soft-edged brush tip and set colour to white, then paint over the skin to reveal the 'High Pass' layer.

smoothingstep03.jpg
Source : http://www.creativebloq.com/tutorial/high-pass-skin-smoothing-photoshop-812591

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
This is more of an advert than a tutorial.

Tom Mann

Guru
Niceday, you appear to be blatantly re-posting material (ie, text AND images) that appear to be done by someone else, and you are effectively taking credit for it by posting the material under your own name. This is unethical to the point of being repulsive. How would you like your work to stolen by someone else?

Not only have you re-posted this material in our forum, you also posted it on a web page which you appear to be in control of: http://photoshopdesigntutorials.com/smooth-skin-by-healing-brush-in-photoshop-cs6.html

However, the actual source appears to be here:

http://www.creativebloq.com/tutorial/high-pass-skin-smoothing-photoshop-812591

And, not that it matters, that is a re-print of an earlier article in Practical Photoshop magazine.

Although you omitted a few things and rearranged others, the text and images that you posted are almost exactly the same as in these sources.

I have had people thrown out of college for doing this a second time. Not only is it plagiarism, it is copyright infringement.

Remove this post, remove any others like this that you have posted on PSG. Cease and desist. If you don't, I will consider contacting the lawyers at Practical Photoshop magazine and then you can deal with legal proceedings against you.

Tom M
Moderator, Photography Section
PSG

PS - FYI, the most common "excuse" given when confronted by an accusation of plagiarism is, "Sorry, I just forgot to cite the original article". Sorry, but that just doesn't cut it. At this point, the only "excuse" I will accept is proof from you that you wrote the original article in Practical Photoshop. I don't think that is likely.

Tom Mann

Guru
That's it? No apologies to the true author of the material? No statement that you won't do it again?

At minimum, you should edit your post to state the correct source. If u don't, we will delete it.

T

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
A) it's not a matter of the laws of a particular country, it's a matter of human values and ethics. Would you want something to be stolen from you? No. So you shouldn't steal something from someone else.

B) Also, since you did not write this material, and it is available on the Internet from the original author, why did you bother to cut and paste it into our forum? You should have simply said, "Hey guys, I found a great tutorial. Here is the URL."

if you have done that, you would have received thank you's instead of complaints, criticism, and threats of legal action.

Steve

Retired Administrator
I'm closing this thread.
When members post tutorials that are not their own at PSG we expect them to post the source and give credit to the author.
Please keep that in mind for any future posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.