What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can i make a gem?

ibclare

Queen Bee
chris, both of those are good tuts. The first one is more of a cartoon, and the 2nd is more realistic. I would just like to see more facet and less dark center in the second example, but I think that would be easy to achieve with a center glow on a separate duplicate layer of the final gem set to overlay or screen, maybe even soft light. At least I think that might help with my objection. (without actually trying it)

ibclare

Queen Bee
I created this all with layer effects. Of course I used the polygonal shape tool.

If you like, I will post the psd so you can see the settings I used in layer fx. It still needs a bit of tweaking, but it's close. It needs some extra transparency and shine, maybe making a rasterized version (copy merge so as not to lose your fx settings, etc.), setting this to screen, then duplicating that and set to hard light, but that is just a guess. Nevertheless, I think a bit more glow in the basic gem is needed and I would do something using overlay mode to get that .. . I think. Of course, I didn't add the sparkles. In the video tut, I think they are too bright and large; as a result they look gaudy fake to me. I would use smaller and much subtler sized star shapes for the lighting effect. I will play around with it some more to see if I can find a satisfactory solution.

CreateFacetedGem.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
Here is another rendition

CreateFacetedGem-2.jpg

Another option (kind of a cheat so to speak) might be to find a gem with all the facets in place, sparkling, then set it to overlay and adjust the opacity. I haven't tried that but it worked in adding a lustre to a car challenge experiment we had, based on a tut)

ibclare

Queen Bee
Using the real diamond superimposed and set to vivid light (and I duplicated this vivid light layer leaving opacity at 100%). All the layer effects, such a bevel and emboss are still employed on the base color layer. It ends up being only 5 layers and a 6th bg layer.

CreateFacetedGem-3.jpg

9 layers and a bg

CreateFacetedGem-4.jpg

Of course, as I said, it is a bit of a cheat. I just am not satisfied with the tutorials I have seen yet. Maybe I'll keep looking. Something good to incorporate from each for the most part.

Oops, didn't clean up the outer edges of the real diamond so that's what all the weird dust is.