What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can i make these beautiful reflections?

pickone

okay... here are huge informations! :D need time to process all of things! :p Thank you very much, i presume that i will return with questions :))

pickone

Ok, i'm stuck on blurring steps :)) on what (layer or mask) must do the blurring? i'm realy stuck :)) i don't know how to continue

first first.jpgsecond second.jpgthird stepthird.jpg and then.... stuck completely. With motion blur? What blending mode? to what? when? how? :))))

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Sorry that this is so involved, but I don't know of any simpler way to get good results. I'm going to post my PSD file to try to help you go through the steps.

Hummm.... this is going to be difficult. I tidied up, simplified and numbered and re-labeled all the layers in the PSD file that I used to generate my original results, but even that produced a 100 MB file, so I cropped it down, converted to 8 bits per channel, and removed all the steps that I used after separately blurring the bright and non-bright parts of the image. After zipping, it still is 15 MB. I've never tried posting something so large on this forum, but lets see what happens. If the forum software doesn't accept something this large, I'll put it on dropbox.

T

PS - Once you receive the file, in our discussions, we can start referring to each step by a layer number or a group number. That should help things out.

Attachments

• 123-tjm03_for_tut-acr-ps02a_sRGB_cropped.zip
    13.7 MB · Views: 2

Tom Mann

Guru
Also, a suggestion: Before you attempt to work on the blurring, I strongly suggest that you work through the little blurring exercises (the red dot on a blue background) that I described in my previous post. I think that doing so will really help to understand the blurring section.

Also, I might be forgetting some step, but as I recall, with the exception of the final step where the "lighten" layer blending mode is used to superimpose the blurred brights over the blurred non-bright areas, I think all other steps involved only the "normal" blending mode.

Tom

pickone

The little exercises with red dot on blue, is successfully done, but in the project... it was a mess... i've downloaded the project, i will open right now! thanks

Tom Mann

Guru
Great!

Oh, I forgot to answer your other question: With one very minor exception (that we haven't talked about yet, and doesn't appear in my PSD file), all of the blurring was done using PS's native "motion blur" tool.

BTW, I'm going out for several hours, but when I come back, I'll be happy to answer any questions that may arise.

Cheers,

Tom

PS - What the heck is your real first name? I feel weird continually addressing someone as "pickone", LOL!

pickone

:)))) Well... my name is Catalin (used by friends), or Gabriel (the second "first" name :D) I will try to"decode" your psd, but tomorrow will be, now i'm a little tired! :) Thank you again... If you use Facebook, i'm on https://www.facebook.com/pickones.page ...

Last edited:

pickone

Okay, now is good! :D i've achieved the result and also simplified your steps with other tools than contrast, masks, etc :D ... same result with simple steps :D
The problem for me... now after achieving all the steps and understand exactly what you explain to me...i realized that the unknown tool "for me", was the "mask from transparent pixels", this tool is new for me, and it does the trick very good. Is perfect for spot lights and motion blurring :D Now I know, thanks to you.

One more question, how about the...(Untitled-1.jpg) ripples, pure white (bright) light reflection, glowing with other colors ... of the bright reflections and little stuff? Do you have a trick for that too? :D

Thank you very much, Tom! Very good job ;)

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey, Catalin -

I'm really glad that you could figure out my PSD file, that you learned about the "mask from transparency" tool, and that the overall technique worked for you. I'm not at all surprised that you could simplify the PSD file that I posted because, to make my original PSD easier to understand, I completely re-wrote it. However, this involved adding lots of things (eg, the layer groups, various duplicate layers, etc.) that are completely unnecessary once you have the basic idea.

I'm also glad you came back and reported your success because sometimes people just disappear when they get what they want, without even a thank-you or letting know that they understood what the person answering the question spent so much time writing up. Thank you! It was a pleasure to work with an advanced user such as yourself.

Finally, with respect to your question about all the little tweaks at end of the process such as adding realistic wave patterns/reflections, yes, I've got some favorite methods, but I've got to take care of other business, so I'll try to respond in a couple of days.

Best regards,

Tom

PS - Check your private messages.

pickone

Nice, i'm dying to find out how you do these things with the details of reflection. I'll wait for you answer! ;) take care

PS:I realized that the most important thing to make those reflections, are: motion blur in repetitions and mask from transparent ;) good job, tom! Thank you for everything

Last edited: