What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can i make these beautiful reflections?

pickone

123.jpg This is a real photo taken by me... I know how to make a simple reflections in photoshop, even with displace tool... but, how can i achieve these beautiful reflections? with the lights outstretched and distorted? I mean, how can i achieve the exactly reflections from this picture, in photoshop, but EXACTLY THE SAME :D can anyone help me with this? Thank you in advice!

Tom Mann

Guru
Mask the area to be reflected, put it on its own layer, flip it vertically and re-position, apply the motion blur filter with an angle of around 90 degrees, reduce the opacity. That should get you very close.

HTH,

Tom

pickone

Thank you for your answer, Tom mann!

Yes, i know this, i've already specified... the simple reflection (with flip/blur even glow lights), i know how to do it, but... motion blur does not help me for the outstretched-sharpened-distorted lights in reflection, like in the picture :(

pickone

yes, why? InFrameStudios is my little company, on studios.inframe.ro or facebook.com/IFS.InFrameStudios or... my personal account facebook.com/pickones.page where i've shared all stuff from InFrameStudios :)

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's just nice to know a little about our new members which is why it's suggested that you start a thread in the New member Introductions Forum and take the time to introduce yourself.

As for your question, cmd/cntrl + T to enter transform, then stretch the inverted image downwards.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can make a selection of the existing reflection, copy it to it's own layer, and use the transform function to extend the reflection.

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 3.38.18 PM.png

Tom Mann

Guru
Here's a real quick and dirty shot at it. I ran into some problems duplicating the exact look of the reflections because it looks like someone has already goosed up the reflections relative to the unreflected parts of the image, and I didn't bother to try to reproduce that. More later,

Tom

PS - I didn't indicate which part of the reflections I replaced with my simulation but it should be pretty obvious, LOL.

Attachments

• 123-tjm01-acr0-ps02a_sRGB_8bpc-01.jpg
    123-tjm01-acr0-ps02a_sRGB_8bpc-01.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 3

pickone

I'm a little confused. To be more sure that you understand what effect I want to achieve, look at this two pictures.... I want in THIS picture ...321.jpg to make reflections like in this one .123.jpg . But, exactly like this, not only with flip/motionblur/glow ... something to be at last 90% accurate

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
To clarify what I did, I simulated reflections from the area of the second building and first smokestack from the left, nowhere else. All other reflections are your original. I did this to make it easy to compare the area I worked on to the original, as they are now side-by-side.

Another way to tell which area I worked on is to look where there is no horizontal black line at the edge of the water. I intentionally did that to make it easy to spot the area I worked on.

T

PS - I presume you are trying to figure out the "missing ingredients" needed to make them look exactly alike. Is that correct, or do you want us to do the actual work for you?

pickone

actually, I want to make all the reflections from zero, not healing brush from other reflections... I don't want you to do the work for me smile.gif i just wanna learn how to make these reflections from zero

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, I just want you to know I have been working on this, but I've hit a roadblock.

Here is what I have so far.

I first removed the lower half of the original....

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 4.45.49 PM.png

I then created a new layer below this and filed with black. This will help back some of the transparencies.

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 5.00.12 PM.png

I then copied the upper half (named "Inverse") and inverted it and moved it into place. I placed this layer below the upright layer.

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 4.46.17 PM.png

I then copied the lower half once again (named "Blend if"), this is important.

On the "inverse" layer, I converted it to a smart object and applied a ripple and blur smart filter. I added a gradient overlay set to overlay and lowered it's opacity.
I also used the Pen Tool on the layers mask to tweak the midground reflection.

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 5.00.59 PM.png

On the "blend if" layer, I opened the layer styles and adjusted the sliders
on the "this layer". (I also tried a luminosity mask for this process, but the blend if worked a bit better)

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 5.12.42 PM.png

This left me with a layer containing just the lights.....

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 5.02.03 PM.png

Here is where I'm stuck.
I'm not sure how to stretch the lights out in the ("blend if") lights layer.

I tried the motion blur, it does not look right.

Suggestions.

Tom Mann

Guru
I can't speak for Sam, but I certainly understood that you wanted to start from zero (aka, "from scratch"), and that's exactly what I did in the one "simulated" section of the version that I posted an hour or two ago. In case it wasn't clear from what I posted before, here is an annotated version showing which area is my "start from zero" simulation of the reflections and which are your original areas.

I was rushing, and since it was already mentioned, I did not bother to stretch out my simulated (starting from zero) reflection. If one ignores that, I certainly see some other aspects of mine that clearly could be improved, but I'm curious, which aspects of my simulated reflection do you feel needs the most work?

Tom

Attachments

• 123-tjm01-acr0-ps02a_sRGB_8bpc-02_annotated.jpg
    123-tjm01-acr0-ps02a_sRGB_8bpc-02_annotated.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 3

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Ok, I just want you to know I have been working on this, but I've hit a roadblock.

Here is what I have so far.

I first removed the lower half of the original....

View attachment 47636

I then created a new layer below this and filed with black. This will help back some of the transparencies.

View attachment 47638

I then copied the upper half (named "Inverse") and inverted it and moved it into place. I placed this layer below the upright layer.

View attachment 47637

I then copied the lower half once again (named "Blend if"), this is important.

On the "inverse" layer, I converted it to a smart object and applied a ripple and blur smart filter. I added a gradient overlay set to overlay and lowered it's opacity.
I also used the Pen Tool on the layers mask to tweak the midground reflection.

View attachment 47639

On the "blend if" layer, I opened the layer styles and adjusted the sliders
on the "this layer". (I also tried a luminosity mask for this process, but the blend if worked a bit better)

View attachment 47640

This left me with a layer containing just the lights.....

View attachment 47641

Here is where I'm stuck.
I'm not sure how to stretch the lights out in the ("blend if") lights layer.

I tried the motion blur, it does not look right.

Suggestions.

Why not try Wind filter set at vertical - top to bottom wind direction. Give it a slight pressure setting then using CTRL+F to repeat the filter.

Then add a slight ripple or wave effect on the lake.....

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My wind filter only goes left and right and would not add enough streak/flare to the lights. I know because I turned the reflection sideways and tried the filter.

Tom Mann

Guru
@OP: Did you do some work on the reflections? There are some anomalies among the reflections that I can't explain.

Tom

Paul

Former Member
My wind filter only goes left and right and would not add enough streak/flare to the lights. I know because I turned the reflection sideways and tried the filter.

Turn your monitor 90 degrees :mrgreen:

pickone

Oh, my bad, now i see clearly. Tom, if you didn't use healing or clone from the other reflections, how did you achieve this result? with what? It is the best result so far... 90% accuracy... The only thing that is missing are the bright lights glowing reflected as an extension and that little distortsions, but the all other reflections are very good. So, again, how do you achieve this? :D

pickone

well... after a few attempts, i've came to the conclusion that all operations for achieving the best result, is more complicated than i've thought... :| there are a few more edits like: flip, blur, brush with white dots for lights reflection, stretching manualy, fine displace with map created from scratch (the most important I think).. again blur.... and so on... BUT, Tom, i'm still interest how you achieve that result, can you please explain to me? What do you mean by TJM Simulated? Plugin or what?

Thank you in advice ;)

Last edited: