What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REALLY simple scars

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Okay so at some point if you do character design or texturing, you'll need to know how to do scars, there's three methods I know that can be used.

Hand Painting
Using photographs of scars from google
And the method I'm about to show you.

Hand painting can take some time to perfect a scar, other times it just works straight up, so it's not very consistent, and using photographs doesn't guarantee a skin tone match and photos of scars on google are normally taken on a phone and so they can be grainy too.

This method is fast, accurate and easy.

all you need is a photo of a leaf!

I'm using this one for mine, it's got nice contrast and tone:

autumn_leaves_PNG3611.png

don't worry about the colour, it'll be desaturated in the first step.

okay, so lets start.

• find a leaf on google, preferably one with good veins and little valleys, if you're doing a raised scar, use the underside.
  • Open a new image in photoshop and paste it in there, desaturate it, you won't need the colour.
  • Open your 'victim,' be it a photo, a painting, or a texture, for this, I'm using a (mostly) hand made texture, I'll show the end result as a 3d render.
    Base-1.jpg
  • Study your leaf and study your character, decide how big you want the scar, how deep it will be, and its shape.
    if you want the scar deep, choose a darkened vein, if you want it shallow, use a less dark vein.
  • once you've chosen your vein, cut it out, really roughly, using the lasso tool leaving some of the surrounding area
    for my texture, I want her to have a small but deep scar on her left cheek, so I've selected this vein:
    leaf 2.jpg
  • Copy it and paste it onto your 'victim's' image as a new layer. Fiddle about with it in transform mode as you need to
    scar 1.jpg
  • next, set the scar to either Overlay or Soft light, depending on your preference.
    add a layer mask to the scar, and with a soft edged brush, carefully remove the hard edges of the layer until it blends with the skin, like so:
    scar 2.jpg

Voila! that's all there is to it! :D

Basic Render:
scar_example.jpg

any questions, just holler!

Tom Mann

Guru
What a great idea! Who would have thunk a leaf could be used for this! I had never seen that suggested before this.

Tom M

StankD

LoL this is very nice stuff and very cool idea on which you can make one simple scarf.
In fact I searched something to do the opposite or to remove scarf from the face something like I mention in my online tutorial.