What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fading picture into background color

Sefa93

Hi all,

Just started creating some picture in photoshop, but got stuck while trying to replicated a certain picture. I just don't get it how to fade in the picture into the background color.

The original picture is the green one of Leonardo Di Caprio. The orange one is mine. How can you adjusted the orange Leonardo in photoshop, so I can use in the Indesign to complete my picture?

Hope you can help me out!!leonardo orange.jpgleonardo-dicaprio-a-guide-to-cool-folkr-18.jpg

Rich54

Guru
Here's my attempt to replicate the gold version. This method will work with any background color you want.
Dicaprio4.jpg

Here are the steps to do this:
1. Create a new file of the appropriate size. Fill in the background layer with whatever color you like.
2. Search Google to find the original photo (not the poster) and import into Photoshop. Use the quick selection tool to isolate Dicaprio from the background and copy that image into your new file. Resize Dicaprio as appropriate.
3. Convert Dicaprio layer to black & white. After some trial and error, I also reduced the opacity of the Dicaprio layer to 75%, but this is optional.
4. Create a curves adjustment layer and clip it to the Dicaprio layer. More trial and error, but I set the curve as shown below:

Dicaprio2.jpg

5. Create a new layer above all the others and fill it with the same color as the background layer. You now have two choices for how to proceed: (1) set the layer blend mode to Darken. This gets you very close to the effect that you want. Or (2) adjust the Blend-If settings on this layer as shown below. This essentially paints the lighter portions of the image with your background color but leaves the darks untouched. I decided that using Blend-If got me closer to matching the original poster.
6. Last steps: add the border around the poster and then add the text (which I didn't bother to do).

Dicaprio3.jpg