What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photshop photo blend into and out of text

mromanos

Does anyone know how to do this? I'm trying to design a logo, I know how to blend my image I have into the text but I'd like to know how to get it like this effect in the picture here where it's within the text but coming out of it as well, any help anyone if greatly appreciate it

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Paul is right, it's done using a layer mask.

To be more specific.....

Open a document.
Give it a BG color, I used white.

On a new layer use the Rectangular Marquis Tool to create a band across the doc.
Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 8.29.04 AM.png

At the very bottom of the layers panel create a new layer and use the Type Too to create your text.
Turn off the text layer.

Select the 'band' layer.
Now mouseover the text layers thumbnail.
Hold down the Cmd/Cntrl key and click once on the text layers thumbnail.

You should have a selection that looks like this:
Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 8.29.26 AM.png

Select your 'band' layer.
Click the 'add layer mask' icon located at the bottom of the layers panel to add a layer mask to the 'band' layer.

Your image should now look like this.
Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 8.30.05 AM.png

Now open the image you would like to use and place it between the BG layer and the 'band' layer.
Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 8.43.46 AM.png

Now select the layer mask on the 'band' image by clicking on it once. It should now have white brackets around it.

Choose your Brush Tool.
Use a fairly hard brush (85).
Set the brushes color to black.
On the layer mask, begin brushing out the out line of your image.
You can change the brushes color to white (X key) to fix areas that you go to far with.

Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 8.31.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 9.18.30 AM.png

mromanos

Paul is right, it's done using a layer mask.

To be more specific.....

Open a document.
Give it a BG color, I used white.

On a new layer use the Rectangular Marquis Tool to create a band across the doc.
View attachment 62475

At the very bottom of the layers panel create a new layer and use the Type Too to create your text.
Turn off the text layer.

Select the 'band' layer.
Now mouseover the text layers thumbnail.
Hold down the Cmd/Cntrl key and click once on the text layers thumbnail.

You should have a selection that looks like this:
View attachment 62476

Select your 'band' layer.
Click the 'add layer mask' icon located at the bottom of the layers panel to add a layer mask to the 'band' layer.

Your image should now look like this.
View attachment 62477

Now open the image you would like to use and place it between the BG layer and the 'band' layer.
View attachment 62478

Now select the layer mask on the 'band' image by clicking on it once. It should now have white brackets around it.

Choose your Brush Tool.
Use a fairly hard brush (85).
Set the brushes color to black.
On the layer mask, begin brushing out the out line of your image.
You can change the brushes color to white (X key) to fix areas that you go to far with.

View attachment 62479

View attachment 62480

Thanks man I got it now.... much appreciated

mromanos

Hey IamSam I'm doing another version with a different picture now but when i use the marque tool it doesn't make that blue mark on the background, also I'm on a mac?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey IamSam I'm doing another version with a different picture now but when i use the marque tool it doesn't make that blue mark on the background, also I'm on a mac?
Sorry, I made an assumption. Once you make a selection with the Rectangular Marquis Tool, you have to fill that selection with the color you want. For that, you can use the Paint Bucket Tool.