What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twisting sticks?

wantedhelp34

Hi, I was trying this the other day and couldn't for my life figure out how to make this effect:

sticks.jpg

I am talking about the holographic twirling sticks in the background.

I don't want the colours, I just want that effect in a layout I have, with black lines. I dont seem to get how it's done.

Can anyone please help me? I'm tempted to just ask a freelancer and pay him to show me.

Attachments

• sticks.jpg
    sticks.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 23

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
You don't have to hire a freelancer to show you how to do this....

It may take a bit but someone here may be able to show you how it's done in PS.

There's another way that this could be done. And it's through the use of Fractal Applications or plugins...

wantedhelp34

You don't have to hire a freelancer to show you how to do this....

It may take a bit but someone here may be able to show you how it's done in PS.

There's another way that this could be done. And it's through the use of Fractal Applications or plugins...

Isn't there just an easy way to make the sticks spin like that? I don't need colour or anything, just want to know how the effect is done. Well I guess fractals could help...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I have a quick question, is this image supposed to be animated.........like a GIF? Or is it stationary?

Do you have a larger version of the image? The image is so small, it's very hard to tell what is actually going on.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Isn't there just an easy way to make the sticks spin like that? I don't need colour or anything, just want to know how the effect is done. Well I guess fractals could help...

It could also be done in Photoshop through the use of TRANSFORM WARP tool....

This is the image we'll be using... I'm using a layer of green lines with a slight ghostly glow over a black background layer so it's easier to see what's going on... And create the document at between 150 - 300 dpi in order to minimize on the jaggedness and discoloration caused by warping...

sticks01.jpg

With the stick layer selected, and using the TRANSFORM WARP, click and drag any of the corner points or handles whichever way to to get the look you want....

sticks02.jpg sticks03.jpg
sticks04.jpg

You can also click and drag along the warp grid lines and/ or within the grid sections to warp and intersect the stick lines...

sticks05.jpg sticks06.jpg

You can also use the distort filters. Here, I'm using SHEAR set to Wrap Around...

sticks07.jpg sticks08.jpg

You can use any of the transform tools including WARP to distort the resulting image.

But here, I applied the Polar Coordinates filter set to Rectangular to Polar....

sticks09.jpg

To get this.... a bit too extreme, but just to show you possibilities....

sticks10.jpg

Note : Pressing CTRL + F applies the filter again and exaggerates the effect.

What I've presented here is the bigger picture - how to create the fractal-like image. For your use based on your sample, use small sections of the image positioned to your liking. And with the eraser tool or the use of masks layers to hide or fade unwanted areas, fine tune your "sticks image"....

Hope this helps you....