What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How To Make Objects Float in Your Photos

gedstar

Guru
Hi

I don't see the point of this video why not just add a cup to the photo, seems pointless to me what you have done

th3betacat

Hi

I don't see the point of this video why not just add a cup to the photo, seems pointless to me what you have done

I'm going on the idea you didn't watch far enough into the video where I cover that part about "adding" a cup in instead.

This covers the basics of using the clone stamp. Yes, it would be easier to add in a cup after the photo, but I feel it's a touch more difficult for beginners who do not know how to color grade, soften/sharpen, matching tones and what have you.

gedstar

Guru
I'm going on the idea you didn't watch far enough into the video where I cover that part about "adding" a cup in instead.
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see that in the video

Well here's a man with a floating cup, took 1 minute to cut out the cup with the Pen Tool and add it to the image
Plus you don't show what you done in Lightroom

View attachment 72323

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
What's confusing for me is why you think CC users cannot open image files? (0:35 ish)

Furthermore, why go to all the trouble of creating a new layer and then stamping the only other layer in the document when you can just duplicate the layer much easier?

What is the benefit of stamping it?

I appreciate the reason for not using a stock photo, lighting and therefore reflections make an image and this is the best way to do those, but I can't help thinking having the cup supported from the ground, say on a stick, would have been much easier to clone out....the contact point with the stick couuld be hidden by the cup itself.

Maybe I'm simplifying it too much.

Regards.
MrToM.

th3betacat

What's confusing for me is why you think CC users cannot open image files? (0:35 ish)

Furthermore, why go to all the trouble of creating a new layer and then stamping the only other layer in the document when you can just duplicate the layer much easier?

What is the benefit of stamping it?

I appreciate the reason for not using a stock photo, lighting and therefore reflections make an image and this is the best way to do those, but I can't help thinking having the cup supported from the ground, say on a stick, would have been much easier to clone out....the contact point with the stick couuld be hidden by the cup itself.

Maybe I'm simplifying it too much.

Regards.
MrToM.

Maybe I should have made it clearer in the video, or post, that this is for beginners. Some one who just picked up Photoshop CS or CC.

Duplicating would probably have been a better route, I'll give you that. However, it's still good to have different ways of doing things. That's the beauty of creating.

Yes, probably a stand or something would have sufficed, but in this situation I already had my own direction to go on.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Personally, Like Ged mentioned, I would just add the cup to an existing photo and save some time and effort on the cloning. The lighting, shadows, and reflections can be added without much effort. At the very least, I would have placed my cup on some monofilament fishing line for the photo making cloning a cinch.............or taken a completely different photo of the cup.

I was also very confused by the Create new layer and Stamp Visible layer when Cmd/Cntrl + J would do the exact same thing. If this were intended for beginners, wouldn't explaining the simplest of ways to accomplish something be better?

By your own admission, your cloning could use some work. The Clone Stamp tool doesn't memorize it samples. You should always clone on a blank layer, this makes it much easier to remove mistakes later. I think you had your Clone Stamp brush too soft and this is why you had the fuzziness and OOF edges.

You can remove the pixel grid (on zoom) by going to VIEW > SHOW > deselect/uncheck pixel grid.

Your tutorial is a bit incomplete when you discuss making a mask around the cup and not explaining. Although you did not need to sharpen the cup as this made it look photoshopped in the final image, it looked better before.

I think you have potential but your still in the learning stages with Photoshop. Your voice and presentation is good even though you said some odd things and didn't explain some steps very well. My general opinion is that this tutorial could be more confusing for beginners than it needs to be but it manages to cover the technique well enough to get by.

Don't give up! Practice, practice, practice!